• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius Question

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius Question

Hello All,

I've been using Sibelius for a few weeks now and having 1 small problem someone might be able to help me with. It may be completely obvious but often when I goto select notes by holding select to draw the selection box, I end up actually dragging the whole line's bars. Is there anyway to lock just the spacing between lines but not the notes?

Thanks
    JP Garbarini
    http://musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Sibelius Question

Select using click/shift-click instead.

D

I don't know why I said "select" lol ... I meant Shift. Even holding Shift, if I miss the note and hit the staff, I end up dragging the whole line. :/
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

What are you trying to do, exactly? I'm not quite clear what you're asking- if you explain in greater detail, I should be able to help you.

It sounds like you need the Filter menu, but I might be wrong.

-

I'm trying to drag a selection box around a group of notes.

Sometimes when I do that however I end up selecting the bar and as I'm draging the mouse the whole staff line moves with it.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to lock the lines in place and only select the notes and not the staff.
    JP Garbarini

Okey doke. There are two ways you can accomplish what you're trying to do:

1) Select all the measures that contain the notes you're trying to select. Go to Edit > Filter > Notes and Chords. This will deselect the bars and leave only the notes within them selected. Then you can drag those selected notes up or down without the bars moving.

2) Hold Control (might be different on Mac- maybe Option) and click the individual noteheads of the notes you want selected. This way you can select just specific notes in various bars and drag them up or down as desired.

Hope this helps! I don't know of any way to actually lock whole staves in place. Even if you "Lock Format" (under Layout > Format), the staves still move up and down if you drag them.

-

No, unlike the Acorn version (13 years ago!) you can't lock staves, but I know that this is planned for a future version. However, I still maintain that "lassoing" the notes is almost never the best way to select things. I would try the other options mentioned in the posts above.

D

Go Back to forum