• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Anyone switched from Mac to Windows?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone switched from Mac to Windows?

I've been using a Mac since 1990, but there's a distinct possibility that due to some work factors I will need to switch to full-time use of a Windows-based laptop. I will say at this point it doesn't seem likely that the dual-boot Intel Duo MacBook is a possibility...we're talking a cold turkey, complete changeover!
    Has anyone made this kind of switch? What are benefits? What is the downside?
    How difficult was the transition?

Last and probably most important, what would be the optimum specs for a Windows-based laptop (running XP Pro) so that I could run Finale 2006 and GPO with an average of 20 instruments? I need this info to talk to my non-music IT person about specs.

Thanks for any advice.
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Re: Anyone switched from Mac to Windows?

I use both. There isn't really a whole lot of difference. Maybe a couple of keyboard shortcuts that you'll have to change if you use them and a slightly different way of doing things in general, but nothing serious. You'll have it mastered in no time (probably!).

I didn't start on Mac, but I had no trouble moving to it, or back again.

Several of my colleagues used Mac's for years and quickly adapted to PC's when they had the chance to get a new PC or make do with their old Mac. Some have gone back through preference, but most are happily running PC's now.

Rich

I made the switch to PC about 12 years ago, so I'm not sure that counts. It was in support of my programming job at the time, but I started collecting music software at that time as well, so it was a never-turn-back situation.

I miss the Mac, but what I don't miss is the lack of software titles. This seems to have improved quite a bit since I switched, but at the time, PC was the way to go for a lot of music software.

The transition was not difficult, and shouldn't be today. I don't have any experience with any part of your particular expected setup, so I can't speak to that directly. I do know that PC people have been able to get a lot more instruments going simultaneously for GPO for similar specs, so at least that's an expected plus.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I started off on a Quadra 610 back in the day Then eventually went to my first PC and have always had one as my main computer. I've owned a mac laptop, but it recently died

Well, the switch from Mac to Windows is easy for me. I can even do Mac to Linux, Linux to Mac, Linux to Windows, Windows to Linux, and Windows to Mac easily too. All it takes is just a simple turning of my chair...

However, in all seriousness, I personally say Mac is probably best to stay with. It may not have many software titles, but what it has is excellent. With the release of Leopard and the full supported Boot Camp, the system is likely to soar. Windows however has tons of software (plenty of crap typically that costs money yet is unprofessional) and is well known for its "excellent stability and reliability". Also, keep with Mac because Windows is probably going to fail in the next release or two. I have Vista installed on my development computer (Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128MB nVidia video card, 200 GB dual harddrive) and it runs terribly slow. The installer is rather nice though, but Vista is just plain bloated and quite a few things are rips from OS X or KDE/GNOME/XFCE/Fluxbox/TWM/etc. Windows is becoming so expensive (I mean in terms of the need to purchase new hardware to run it) that it will most likely be detested by many users. And for anyone who wonders, I was able to run at most 7-9 instruments at a time in GPO/JABB on my development computer in Vista.

On the plus side of Windows Vista, it's more stable than Windows Me!
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Windows [...] is well known for its "excellent stability and reliability". Also, keep with Mac because Windows is probably going to fail in the next release or two. I have Vista installed on my development computer (Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128MB nVidia video card, 200 GB dual harddrive) and it runs terribly slow.
    You may not know this, but WinXP with all updates is actually very stable and reliable. Programs may crash due to their own poor programming, but Windows practically never crashes. I can not remember, when I had the last system wide crash.

And predicting the behaviour of a future release based on the behaviour of a beta version is not, pardon me, very serious. Beta versions are there to eliminate poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Well, the switch from Mac to Windows is easy for me. I can even do Mac to Linux, Linux to Mac, Linux to Windows, Windows to Linux, and Windows to Mac easily too. All it takes is just a simple turning of my chair...

However, in all seriousness, I personally say Mac is probably best to stay with. It may not have many software titles, but what it has is excellent. With the release of Leopard and the full supported Boot Camp, the system is likely to soar. Windows however has tons of software (plenty of crap typically that costs money yet is unprofessional) and is well known for its "excellent stability and reliability". Also, keep with Mac because Windows is probably going to fail in the next release or two. I have Vista installed on my development computer (Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128MB nVidia video card, 200 GB dual harddrive) and it runs terribly slow. The installer is rather nice though, but Vista is just plain bloated and quite a few things are rips from OS X or KDE/GNOME/XFCE/Fluxbox/TWM/etc. Windows is becoming so expensive (I mean in terms of the need to purchase new hardware to run it) that it will most likely be detested by many users. And for anyone who wonders, I was able to run at most 7-9 instruments at a time in GPO/JABB on my development computer in Vista.

On the plus side of Windows Vista, it's more stable than Windows Me!
    Your MacFanatic waffling is garbage. Did you even read the first post in this thread?

R.

Hey guys,

I knew that my topic might inspire passionate debate (it usually does), but I plead with you, let's keep it friendly. I would appreciate it, and it would help me in making my decision.

I'll say again that when I make this move it will be to Windows completely.

One of the other questions I had originally posted concerned the specs for a laptop system that would allow me to run full GPO and Finale 2006 with about 20 or so separate instruments. Any thoughts on that?

Here's a specific question: would having a dedicated video card with its own memory (not shared system memory) make a big difference in running the Finale/GPO set-up more efficiently? I will not be running games that might require the beefier video requirements, and we will be using XP Pro in our office setting for some time to come, so meeting Vista's requirements don't factor in, either.

Thanks again for the help.
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Quote Originally Posted by thgmusic
    One of the other questions I had originally posted concerned the specs for a laptop system that would allow me to run full GPO and Finale 2006 with about 20 or so separate instruments. Any thoughts on that?
    Finale/GPO can easily gobble 1 GB RAM, depending on the instruments; f.ex the Steinway eats the first 250 MB. You also need some for Windows etc. I'd say 1.5 GB at least, better still 2 GB. And the CPU should be on the safe side of 2.6 GHz, if it is single core.

Yes. I did. Probably not ever looking back. But it was not always this rosey

My history: My first music computer was a toaster mac-plus running Opcode's sequencer. MSDOS was the OS people were using on Intel boxes. The opcode stuff was great. Never had a problem. I think I even got Finale somewhere along the line on that thing. That was about 1987 I think. I have migrated up through various versions of Mac's...always no problems. Then due to work issues I decided to try a PC running Windows 3.1. I actually bought Cubase at the time, which was a pile of crap compared to Opcode on the mac. the midi timing was completely unusable. Believe it or not, this marked the beginning of a massive reduction in my music making..simply because I lost my Mac and the PC sucked for music. I kept trying different things, allowed myself to get more distracted by my job...but nothing on the PC worked worth a damn for making music and basically I just didn't write any music. So sad.

Then I upgraded to a faster PC that was running...drum roll.... Windows95. I bought a fancy sound card. I upgraded cubase. CRAP. Did not work. Machine froze constantly. Never got the Event Gina card to work right, nor Cubase, and tech support from both was absolutely terrible. I vowed never to buy from either company again. Meanwhile, my music making continued to stagnate as it was a roadblock and I could not justify buying another computer. I tried other soundcards and things..but ultimately..it was just too unstable and interrupt hell. Mind you, I am a programmer for a living. Just imagine if I was not, A mac would be the only option.

Around 2000 I got some spare dollars and bought me a Dual G4. Wahoo...I was finally gonna make some music. I even got a cinema display that cost me $3500 at the time. Wahoo. Yes..the mac did indeed work perfectly...Digital Performer ran like a dream, Finale, everything. But man, what an expensive computer. Right about this time is when the PC audio world finally started to get things right. After a couple years my Mac Depreciated into oblivion and I was in a position to consider whether to upgrade to another mac again..which I did around 2003. But I have to say, that upgraded mac was expensive, ran OSX which was eleagant for sure but not ANY easier to administrate than WinXP. The mac audio apps were finally catching up to OSX. But I had like 4 computers in the house and dealing with two OS's was a pain. And the simple fact was that WinXP was running audio software rock solid. On top of that..there was a lot more to choose from on the PC side.

Anyway, I sold both my Mac and my dual display a couple years ago...and I have to say... I could not be happier. WindowsXP runs all this stuff at least as stable as OSX did. Its just as easy to administrate. There is more stuff to choose from. My hardware is fast and quiet and cheaper. The fact that WindowsXP is on way more desktops then OSX is a benefit. It means better support, more stuff to choose from, more questions answered from google when I need help, plus I use these machines for work. And all the audio stuff runs perfectly.

Really, at this point in time, it would be naive to say that one platform is better than the other for any reason at all, including music production. They are both solid, both eleagant, both have plenty of options. At the end of the day, pick the one that makes sense to you for whatever the reason and don't worry..either one will work fine. Another consideration is if there is a particular piece of software you want to use that only runs on one platform. For example, I almost kept my mac just so I could run Digital Performer. But in the end, I'm pretty happy with Sonar now, so I'm fine (I will never buy Cubase! ha). Some people seem to think they need to learn ProTools. Ok.. If so, get a mac. There are some apps that only run on the PC too. So pick your poison. But at the end of the day, they are both great platforms. I think they have both matured nicely.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum