• Register
  • Help

Topic: Name That Tune #2!

Share/Bookmark

notation of short melody lines...bad?

So the new question is where does one draw the line for fair use in music notation/dictation? 0 measures? 4 measures? 8? That is an interesting subject because on the one hand, IP should definitely be protected at all costs...on the other, I can see how easy it is to slip up!
    So, if you notate something yourself by ear from a recording I can see how it can enter into unfair use territory...but I wonder how much? I know that in my books from college, there is a citation for even 2-4 measure scraps. But it could get hairy if the thing you're notating is simple enough to be construed as any number of copyrighted works. I guess at that point it becomes an issue of intent, etc. This willl have me pulling out the old music business books again!

Re: Name That Tune #2!

Quote Originally Posted by derekderek

And by the way, is it kosher to post self-notated melodies for educational purposes such as this? If not, we'll go pre-copyright era for subsequent postings.

Well, from my readings on the subject, it appears that whatever means are used to reproduce it, it would be a copyright violation. Seems reasonable that it would. For instance, many pop songs are easy to use as dictation practice or write out from listening, and there would be not much defense against copyright infringement litigation with such things, else copyright protection would be meaningless.

But unless some significant money is involved, I doubt that what you are doing would inspire a lawsuit.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by derekderek
    That was way cool, last time I posted a name that tune, somebody nailed it in like 30 seconds. Now try this one on for size:

This clip is my rough notation of a horn *counterline* from a certain piece. It is, in fact, an incredibly awesome counterline. Can anyone guess it?

http://takenotesmusic.com/counterline.gif

Granted, this is just a sketch. But feel free to critique the notation as well, I suppose I could start putting some effort into my dictation skills.

And by the way, is it kosher to post self-notated melodies for educational purposes such as this? If not, we'll go pre-copyright era for subsequent postings.
    Is it Fingal's Cave by Mendelssohn?

Rwayland: I think you have some points there.

Dave Hoffman: Nope...more modern.

Go Back to forum