• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A cold day in hell

Share/Bookmark

A cold day in hell

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...6&obj_id=51532

As if composers don't have it tough enough already. Of course, no one who needs "good music" will settle for that, but it's still an amusing if not disturbing attempt.

Re: A cold day in hell

This is probably mainly going to appeal to radio DJ's doing spots and types that already use needle drop so I doubt it will greatly impact any working composers who aren't affected already. I'd like to hear the results...

I think that the kind of tv producers who use that stuff would never call a composer...even if that program doesn't exist.

Not much to worry IMO. Anyway I would like to listen to some "demos"
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

hmm --I thought this thing was actually going to compose which might have been entertaining. As it stands, it's a bit hard to see the point....

Quote Originally Posted by awpmusic
    Have you listened to the demos? I don't think we have to worry too much.
    second that

This is my favorite part of the article:

"As filmmakers create custom music with Cinescore, it is expected that they will claim lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties on the music they create, as they seek to enhance the financial return from films and exercise more control over the creation of score music for their films. "

Man I spent a ton of time and money learning my craft and buying soft synths and all I really had to do to get those "lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties" was to buy this program.

So here's the deal. I'll buy it 1st. I'll make a ton of money, er sorry, "lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties" and retire to a private island with Pam Anderson and Jennifer Connely. Then I'll send word (via smoke signals) and some one else can buy it and do the same. Sounds good to me

Darren

PS Doesn't this sound alot like the program "Smartsound"?
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    This is my favorite part of the article:

"As filmmakers create custom music with Cinescore, it is expected that they will claim lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties on the music they create, as they seek to enhance the financial return from films and exercise more control over the creation of score music for their films. "

Man I spent a ton of time and money learning my craft and buying soft synths and all I really had to do to get those "lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties" was to buy this program.

So here's the deal. I'll buy it 1st. I'll make a ton of money, er sorry, "lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties" and retire to a private island with Pam Anderson and Jennifer Connely. Then I'll send word (via smoke signals) and some one else can buy it and do the same. Sounds good to me

Darren

PS Doesn't this sound alot like the program "Smartsound"?
    Pam says she can't make it cos she's kinda busy.

retire to a private island with Pam Anderson
    Better make sure she gets her shots.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Pam says she can't make it cos she's kinda busy.

That's a shame. I'm sure dpasdernick won't settle with getting only Jennifer Connelly. Man has to have principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...6&obj_id=51532

As if composers don't have it tough enough already. Of course, no one who needs "good music" will settle for that, but it's still an amusing if not disturbing attempt.
    For what it's worth, composers have always had it tough, except for the 10% who are a)talented, or b) know someone, or c) both.

This program won't change the way we work in the main, but there's always someone out there who'll try to cut corners. Creative professionals in many fields have always been an obvious target for the lesser skilled. Fact of life really.
    If it takes off, and i doubt it at the moment, you may see a lot of smaller films with generic scores hit the market, as directors and producers try to cut the muso out of the game, thinking they can do it all themselves, and have 'total' creative control. (and the ensuing savings in expenses.)

And i wouldn't rest on the notion of 'anyone who needs good music either'......
    If the money men think they'll get away with it with audiences, it has as much of a chance as any composer.

Nature of the world we live in.

Film's always been a commodity for mainstream (generally), never more so than now. Like a conveyor belt in a factory, if you reduce the manpower, and get the robots in, the bottom line improves, so any temptation gets looked at.

We are fortunate there's still those with visions of 'godlike immortality' who make films for a sense of making their place in history, or preserving an historical moment, but they're a bit thinner on the ground than they used to be, probably overwhelmed by the 'studio machine'.

Go Back to forum