• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aunts, Horse, and Music

Share/Bookmark

Aunts, Horse, and Music

Yesterday, I posted a link to a new piano piece, Fleetabelle, named after my Aunt Fleetabelle, who died in 1983. Her maiden name was Jones. David Sosnoski discovered that Fleetabelle was also the name of a significant throroughbred race horse. I searched, and found the pedigree and the dates would indicate that the horse may have been named after my Aunt, whose family had some connection with horse racing. There is no one left in my family to ask, and I don't know how to continue searching. Any horse racing fans here who can advise on how to find the origin of names of famous horses?

Richard

Re: Aunts, Horse, and Music

Sorry Richard, not up on racehorse data, but found this cool site that shows pedigree. Fleetabelle is on the lower left. You can see the family tree or go the other way to see what horses were bred by her.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/mary+helen

You would think there would be some Thoroughbred organization with more info of each horses history, owners, breeders and other stuff about the horse, but i wasn't able to find any.

David

I did a little Googling and found this site: ( http://www.interment.net/data/us/hi/...aii_watwhe.htm ) which has an entry:

"Wayland, Fleetabelle Jones, b. 03/09/1912, d. 09/09/1983, Plot: X 425-A, bur. 09/16/1983"

If this is indeed your aunt, it says her birthday was 1912, which matches the date given on the website etLux gave:

"FLEETABELLE (USA) F, 1912"

I'm not exactly sure how to read the data given on the website or how thoroughbred naming works, but if the dates refer to birthdates, looks like a connection.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I did a little Googling and found this site: ( http://www.interment.net/data/us/hi/...aii_watwhe.htm ) which has an entry:

"Wayland, Fleetabelle Jones, b. 03/09/1912, d. 09/09/1983, Plot: X 425-A, bur. 09/16/1983"

If this is indeed your aunt, it says her birthday was 1912, which matches the date given on the website etLux gave:

"FLEETABELLE (USA) F, 1912"

I'm not exactly sure how to read the data given on the website or how thoroughbred naming works, but if the dates refer to birthdates, looks like a connection.
    That is indeed my Aunt Fleetabelle. I got mixed up on birthdate. I knew that my Uncle Russell was a few years older than my dad, and thus presumed that Fleetabelle would have been younger than my mother, but such was not the case.

I sent an email to a pedigree site asking for information on horse naming. The horse was born in 1936, so my aunt came first.

Richard

Some masterful Googling, there, Sean!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well, this gets more interesting, but no answers yet. There were two race horses named Fleetabelle, one male, and one female! One was a quarter horse, the other a thoroughbred. One was born 1912, same year as my Aunt Fleetabelle. The other was born in 1936. Regarding the source of the name, no clue yet. I sure would appreciate a clue about where to search.

Richard

Go Back to forum