• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overlay patches

Overlay patches

Can someone explain what is the idea behind the overlay patches for Brasses. What is the best way to take advantage of them and why is there no overlay patches for woodwinds?

Thank you for any expert insight

Re: Overlay patches

Overlays are intended to be layered with the Plr instruments when a more massive sound is required of the brass than can be achieved with just the individual instruments. In the case of the French horns there are two overlays that have somewhat different character from one another that can have a significant effect on the "brassiness" of the section. The two overlays can be used singly or together when layered with the Plr instruments. Adjusting the ratio of Plr to overlays can yield many different qualities. The (sometimes) need for massive section work only exists for brass, that is why there are no overlays for woodwinds.

Hello Tom

Thank you for your precious answer.

If I look at the brass masterclass, I notice that 2 of the 3 chords plaid by the horns are reproduced in the two overlay patches and can hear the

Why not the third ?

How do you advise to enter by sequencer these overlay patches ? Should all the voices be entered into the overlay patch ?

Should the modulation control be approached in a specific way as opposed the handling of the independent instruments lines?

Best regards

I look at these patches as just added color when you need it. Your ear is the only real guide here. When it tells you "this could stand to be a little brassier," add in an overlay track at about 5075% the level of the original. Then use CC#1 to fine-tune the amount of color, which will probably roughly follow the amount of controller you are using on the original patch. I'm sure others use these in different ways, so it's probably best to just experiment.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will keep experimenting by ear …

Go Back to forum