• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Has anyone used or is using GPO live?

Share/Bookmark

Has anyone used or is using GPO live?

Has anyone used or is using GPO in live situation?

Could you share your experience?

I need to cover some parts in my Sunday morning orchestra and I've been considering using GPO.

Thanks
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Talking Re: Has anyone used or is using GPO live?

No one has used GPO in a live setting? WHOA! You mean there are no trailmakers here?....no leaders of the pack?....no big dogs?..... no risktakers?

:-)

Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Has anyone used or is using GPO live?

Quote Originally Posted by ChoralBoss
    I need to cover some parts in my Sunday morning orchestra and I've been considering using GPO.

Thanks
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    I do not perform live so I don't have any opportunity to do what you are suggesting. But it sounds like a good idea to me as long as you have a way to coordinate the computer output with the live group.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Just as soon as I get a Receptor

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor_overview.php

I'm going to plug in my midi guitar controller and gig with live GPO. I'll let you know how I get on.

One way to use GPO live would be to render the audio (to the PA system) and a click track (to ear monitors only). For simplicity you can record it to CD and do the karaoke thing. No PCs. No running out of polyphony.

Personally, I prefer Giga for live. GS3 can stack instruments and do program changes. You can run everything through the DSP section with VST effects, and you can assign controls to faders for live control.

Some people have had problem setting up Giga on their systems. But given a good system, it's solid as a rock. And you can mix and match whatever 3rd party instruments that you need: pianos, drums, basic synths, strings, pads, choirs. And you can use Giga to split the keyboard among as many instruments as you need.

It takes some effort to pre-program Giga for a dynamic performance, but once set, you can do it all without ever touching the mouse.

You really need that level of controllability for the stage. Regardless of the sampler used, playing just the flute, then clicking around and playing just oboe, isn't viable for most performances.

I've been considering some really wild one-man-band scenarios. Consider that most songs only use notes within a narrow range of notes in a single key. Say the son is in G minor. I could program the Gb, G and G# keys to play the G note on guitar and bass. One key could include bass drum and hi-hat. Another would be snare and hat. Another would be BD and crash. Now I can play the basic rock beat with the little finger of my left hand. Do the same for the C and D and I've got enough for a three chord song. By the time you get the whole thing done, you wouldn't be playing a straight Gm scale, but you could play a very full arrangement totally live and with a dynamic tempo. When you're done with the song, send a few program change commands, and you're ready for the next tune.

I will be using gpo live at LINCOLN CENTER! at a film festival on july 27th (i think)
    i'm playing in a wierd sort of multi-media band with a singer, guitarist, cello, and interactive video. i'll be using gpo woodwinds for some piercing melodies. i've never played keyboards live, so i'm a little nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoralBoss
    Has anyone used or is using GPO in live situation?

Could you share your experience?

Thanks
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    I use it live in my classroom. My chamber orchestra's cellists couldn't schedule the class, so I play their parts from a keyboard. I also use samples of the other string instruments in rehearsal to work on intonation.

I use it for a little bit of sound effects and just some background music for the school musicals live. I run it directly from my sister's laptop (which will be mine in a couple of months...). Next year's musical will require me putting the entire piano score into GPO so students can practice their parts in the musical without there having to be a pianist. Yet I need to find a notation program (or something of the sort) that can repeat a section till a cue.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by conwaylemmon
    I...i've never played keyboards live, so i'm a little nervous.
    Make sure to use your own keyboard, if at all possible. I let a guy talk me into using his setup on a tight stage once (we opened), and it was a personal disaster. The sounds were wrong, the mix was bad, the monitoring was bad, the touch was all wrong, and I suk'd. Big surprise about suk'ing in that situation. (Besides, I'm really a guitarist, like everybody else on the planet.)

The thing about keyboards is that they give very little tactile feedback. It's not like feeling the bounce of the stick on a drum, or the vibration of string or reed. At least if you use your own keyboard, the feedback agrees with your expectations. Using an unfamiliar keyboard takes away that last measure of comfort.

And spend some time warming up with the keyboard no matter who's it is. Bring headphones and you can practice in private.

Another good solution for keyboard players is a personal in-ear monitor. You can bring it with you, and you never have to worry about bad acoustics and inadequate monitor speakers again.

Quote Originally Posted by conwaylemmon
    I will be using gpo live at LINCOLN CENTER! at a film festival on july 27th (i think)
    i'm playing in a wierd sort of multi-media band with a singer, guitarist, cello, and interactive video. i'll be using gpo woodwinds for some piercing melodies. i've never played keyboards live, so i'm a little nervous.
    Best of luck to you on this project hope it goes well, I'm sure it will.

Film and TV actors/actresses have a method for relaxation (they teach this in acting classes) to cut down on stage fright (butterflies) or nervousness. Not too long before going on camera, they go somewhere, dressing room, restroom, somewhere alone, and make crazy faces in a mirror for about five to ten minutes, facial contortions. I kid you not and it works. It makes you feel a little foolish doing it, but results are well worth it.

The result from streaching your face muscles and jaw is a relaxed face that is not tight, able to smile or talk more freely, or any expression needed. This also relaxes you and you look relaxed rather than stiff!

And then they take the nervous energy, that is still there but no longer inconveniently manifesting itself on their face, and use it to their advantage channeling it into their perfomance.

If I were going to perform live, i would definitely do this, and maybe even add a few minutes of isometric excercize or streatching the way atheletes do, to loosen up for walking onto a stage, but be very carefull if you have not been already doing preworkout streaching from time to time.

Hope this helps, but take it with a grain of salt, I have never performed live.

David

Go Back to forum