• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Forgive me, I'm sure it's been asked many times but will xp be able to handle 4 Gb ram using up to say 3 Gb effectively?
    I have 2 Gb now and get perhaps 1.5 in real use.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Save your money as Giga will not use the extra memory. The best most users have been able to get is 1.3 GB of samples loaded. This is the limit as Giga is written in the kernel.

  3. #3

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    However GVI, when it is released, if it works, should be able to use up to 2.85GB (roughly) so I would save your money for the moment.

    D

  4. #4

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    However GVI, when it is released, if it works, should be able to use up to 2.85GB (roughly) so I would save your money for the moment.

    D
    Then again, take a look at the discounted upgrade price. It might make sense to get GS3 and upgrade to GVI. I've confirmed that the license would allow you to keep running GS3 on one machine and install GVI on a second.

  5. #5

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Then again, take a look at the discounted upgrade price. It might make sense to get GS3 and upgrade to GVI. I've confirmed that the license would allow you to keep running GS3 on one machine and install GVI on a second.
    Of course here in the UK I'm expected to be shafted on that one, just as we all were on the GS 2.5-GS3 upgrade.

    D

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Of course here in the UK I'm expected to be shafted on that one, just as we all were on the GS 2.5-GS3 upgrade.

    D
    If there was any issue at all with your upgrade, you need to write to Tascam, care of the Software Product Manager, and get it aired. I know that there were some issues with some non-US distributors, and that it was not the intent of Tascam for people to get shafted on any kind of upgrade.

  7. #7

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Unfortunately that didn't work. All I got was an email telling me to contact my distributor. Let's hope that I'm wrong about GVI. If not, then I will be very noisy......

    D

  8. #8

    Re: will xp handle 4Gb Ram with GS3?

    Thanks loads guys... as always.

    makes perfect sense to me and yes I have a keen eye out for the plugin Giga as it will solve lots for me.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •