• Help

Topic: Gary reachin another milestone.

Share/Bookmark

Gary reachin another milestone.

Garritan Interactive Orchestration Course mentioned in O'Reilly

here 's the link

Re: Gary reachin another milestone.

From the article:

Talking with Garritan in person at trade shows, I’ve been impressed with his commitment to music education. But I was amazed at the scope of his latest project, a free online version of Rimsky-Korsakov’s famous Principles of Orchestration. It pairs the lessons of this public-domain text with nearly 300 animated versions of the musical notation, recorded with GPO. This is a shining example of the educational potential of MIDI and the value of Fair Use and copyright limitation. Bravo!

And from all of us:

Bravo -- again!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    From the article:

Talking with Garritan in person at trade shows, I’ve been impressed with his commitment to music education. But I was amazed at the scope of his latest project, a free online version of Rimsky-Korsakov’s famous Principles of Orchestration. It pairs the lessons of this public-domain text with nearly 300 animated versions of the musical notation, recorded with GPO. This is a shining example of the educational potential of MIDI and the value of Fair Use and copyright limitation. Bravo!

And from all of us:

Bravo -- again!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    100% Ditto!!!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Always nice to see smart and good line up.
    The Rimsky' course is one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    What a relief. For a second, I thought you were referring to the O'Reilly Factor.

Lee Blaske
    You missed that show. Here is a would-be interview in a previous post by Bill O'Reilly the interview that might have been:

Bill O'Reilly
    Welcome to the O'Reilly Factor, I'm Bill O'Reilly. On the impact segment tonight - Gary Garritan, sample developer - welcome to the show, sir.

Gary
    Where am I? I was supposed to be interviewed by O'Reilly Media.

Bill O'Reilly
    You're on the Spin Zone. The Factor has done quite a bit of research on your GPO, and we've heard a lot of buzz on the Internet, people talking about this "GPO" thing, a lotta stuff about the "GPO Community", some goofy talk about a "sample library that changed everything", and a bit about some nut called Garritan.

Gary
    Never heard of it.

Bill O'Reilly
    So this GPO, or whatever you want to call it, has become a standard in the industry, one of the most successful libraries ever - has all these awards and glowing reviews and endorsements - is it really as good as they say, or what?

Gary
    Ummm....

Bill O'Reilly
    Mr. Garritan as you probably know, we at The Factor have been critical of certain decisions made by the Bush administration with regard to using GPO to torture inmates at Gitmo. Particularly the use of the "GPO Worst Demo Ever" contest winner "Disco Bagpipes"

Let's play a clip of it here: http://www.garritan.com/mp3/kopp-disco-bagpipes.mp3

Now, what say you.

Gary

Please play it again and turn up the volume. I love that song.

Bill O'Reilly
    Why should people use GPO?

Gary
    It's "Fair and Balanced". The price is fair and the orchestra is balanced.

Bill O'Reilly:
    Well, an interesting response there.

Bill O'Reilly
    I don't want to get into a moral argument with you here - what I want to do, for the benefit of the folks watching at home, is to clarify your position on Ensemble Building. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the way orchestral sampling should have been done all along?

Gary
    Ahhhhmm......

Bill O'Reilly [shaking his head]
    You're spinning, Mr. Garritan, you're spinning. Let me ask you this - do you concede that orchestral libraries don't have to cost thousands of dollars in order to sound good or give musicians the tools they need? I mean aren't there a variety of uses for sample libraries?

Gary
    Errr.......

Bill O'Reilly
    I don't know, Garritan. You're being a pinhead because you won't give me a straight answer... I'm trying to find out is whether people should buy an affordable library and hire some real players with the thousands they save. But isn't it a fact that the ACLU elitists are conspiring to stop the common guy from having good quality sampled orchestras at a reasonable price? Surely they can't object to your bringing affordable good-quality sampling to many thousands of people, if they do, these types are all SLEAZ! I'll say it to their face - they're SLEAZ!

Gary
    SLEAZ???? You mean Sample Library Elistists Are Zany?

Bill O'Reilly
    Isn't what you're doing - going against the SLEAZ with the democratization of digital orchestration? But how are you supposed to make a profit if you keep producing these low cost libraries?

Gary
    Duhhh...I'm supposed to make a profit....???

Bill O'Reilly
    Is this for charity or a prelude to political ambitions?

Gary
    I do have political ambitions. We'll be developing the political sample library. Multi-velocity samples of Howard Dean's screech, extended shrills of Ann Coulter, the growls of Al Sharpton, the monotones of Al Gore, the stutters of Bush and the snarls of Rush, conservative and liberal drones - all in 24 bits.

Bill O'Reilly
    Shut Up! You can sample this stuff all you want, but at the end of the day, the musician folks just want to know one thing - they want to know who's looking out for them.

Gary
    That would be me....

That is the most rediculous item of the day

LOL . Happy Canada Day Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    You missed that show. Here is a would-be interview in a previous post by Bill O'Reilly the interview that might have been:

Bill O'Reilly
    Welcome to the O'Reilly Factor, I'm Bill O'Reilly. On the impact segment tonight - Gary Garritan, sample developer - welcome to the show, sir.

Gary
    Where am I? I was supposed to be interviewed by O'Reilly Media.

Bill O'Reilly
    You're on the Spin Zone. The Factor has done quite a bit of research on your GPO, and we've heard a lot of buzz on the Internet, people talking about this "GPO" thing, a lotta stuff about the "GPO Community", some goofy talk about a "sample library that changed everything", and a bit about some nut called Garritan.

Gary
    Never heard of it.

Bill O'Reilly
    So this GPO, or whatever you want to call it, has become a standard in the industry, one of the most successful libraries ever - has all these awards and glowing reviews and endorsements - is it really as good as they say, or what?

Gary
    Ummm....

Bill O'Reilly
    Mr. Garritan as you probably know, we at The Factor have been critical of certain decisions made by the Bush administration with regard to using GPO to torture inmates at Gitmo. Particularly the use of the "GPO Worst Demo Ever" contest winner "Disco Bagpipes"

Let's play a clip of it here: http://www.garritan.com/mp3/kopp-disco-bagpipes.mp3

Now, what say you.

Gary
    Please play it again and turn up the volume. I love that song.

Bill O'Reilly
    Why should people use GPO?

Gary
    It's "Fair and Balanced". The price is fair and the orchestra is balanced.

Bill O'Reilly:
    Well, an interesting response there.

Bill O'Reilly
    I don't want to get into a moral argument with you here - what I want to do, for the benefit of the folks watching at home, is to clarify your position on Ensemble Building. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the way orchestral sampling should have been done all along?

Gary
    Ahhhhmm......

Bill O'Reilly [shaking his head]
    You're spinning, Mr. Garritan, you're spinning. Let me ask you this - do you concede that orchestral libraries don't have to cost thousands of dollars in order to sound good or give musicians the tools they need? I mean aren't there a variety of uses for sample libraries?

Gary
    Errr.......

Bill O'Reilly
    I don't know, Garritan. You're being a pinhead because you won't give me a straight answer... I'm trying to find out is whether people should buy an affordable library and hire some real players with the thousands they save. But isn't it a fact that the ACLU elitists are conspiring to stop the common guy from having good quality sampled orchestras at a reasonable price? Surely they can't object to your bringing affordable good-quality sampling to many thousands of people, if they do, these types are all SLEAZ! I'll say it to their face - they're SLEAZ!

Gary
    SLEAZ???? You mean Sample Library Elistists Are Zany?

Bill O'Reilly
    Isn't what you're doing - going against the SLEAZ with the democratization of digital orchestration? But how are you supposed to make a profit if you keep producing these low cost libraries?

Gary
    Duhhh...I'm supposed to make a profit....???

Bill O'Reilly
    Is this for charity or a prelude to political ambitions?

Gary
    I do have political ambitions. We'll be developing the political sample library. Multi-velocity samples of Howard Dean's screech, extended shrills of Ann Coulter, the growls of Al Sharpton, the monotones of Al Gore, the stutters of Bush and the snarls of Rush, conservative and liberal drones - all in 24 bits.

Bill O'Reilly
    Shut Up! You can sample this stuff all you want, but at the end of the day, the musician folks just want to know one thing - they want to know who's looking out for them.

Gary
    That would be me....

Go Back to forum