• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan General MIDI Collection

Share/Bookmark

Question Garritan General MIDI Collection

Hello,

www.finalemusic.com lists a new Garritan product named " Garritan General MIDI Collection".

Can we have some information about it ?

Thanks,
    Pierre Laroche

Re: Garritan General MIDI Collection

Yeah! Can't wait to hear those Garritan goblins!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Finale beat me to the announcement

The Garritan General MIDI collection is a library for those who like to work in General MIDI. General MIDI is a specification that's almost universally accepted that provides for a industry-standard soundest to make music with.
    General MIDI follows a standard that assigns 128 instrument sounds that are assigned to specific numbers. The idea behind General MIDI was to allow files to be used among different synthesizers, sound modules and devices with predictable results.

Over the years an incredible body of work has developed based on general MIDI files. All the major sampling keyboard manufacturers (Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil) have GM sets, modules like Sound Canvas were based upon it, Finale and other notation program users scored with the GM softsynths over the years, General MIDI files are available on the internet in abundance(e.g. Classical Music Archives).
    The concept of General MIDI is still very much alive and a great deal of music continues to be made with General MIDI. The Garritan General MIDI collection was developed to provide better sound quality and to provide greater performance control over the General MIDI sounds.

We will provide more details about the General MIDI collection soon.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

The Garritan General MIDI collection is a library for those who like to work in General MIDI. General MIDI is a specification that's almost universally accepted that provides for a industry-standard soundest to make music with.
    General MIDI follows a standard that assigns 128 instrument sounds that are assigned to specific numbers. The idea behind General MIDI was to allow files to be used among different synthesizers, sound modules and devices with predictable results.

Over the years an incredible body of work has developed based on general MIDI files. All the major sampling keyboard manufacturers (Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil) have GM sets, modules like Sound Canvas were based upon it, Finale and other notation program users scored with the GM softsynths over the years, General MIDI files are available on the internet in abundance(e.g. Classical Music Archives).
    The concept of General MIDI is still very much alive and a great deal of music continues to be made with General MIDI. The Garritan General MIDI collection was developed to provide better sound quality and to provide greater performance control over the General MIDI sounds.

This is indeed good news. Perhaps now I can retire my Roland "XV" hardware synths for good. I have hundreds of GM files and this will be much easier than trying to edit the GM files to fit GPO, JABB, etc.

Great work again, Gary!

Keith Walls

Still another darned good idea!

With the absolutely enormous amount of .MID music out there,
    there are going to be one whole lot of new Garritanites!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wish I'd thought of that....

If I remember right, General MIDI includes a choir sound...so does this foreshadow a choir library? Also, I think there is a distorted electric guitar in General MIDI also...so a Garritan Rock Band library also in the works?
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    If I remember right, General MIDI includes a choir sound...so does this foreshadow a choir library? Also, I think there is a distorted electric guitar in General MIDI also...so a Garritan Rock Band library also in the works?
    I'm really interested in the Garritan GM helicopter
    sound, myself.

Rumor has it, Gary ran into a few problems with
    the sampling:

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

GM Helicopter may have posed some problems. But apparently the Applause sample posed a problem...

Apparently, not telling anyone about this library ended up with a small number of people showing up to help out in the applause.

I have heard that he managed to get a bird tweet sound though in the bird's natural habitat. And he also, during the same recording session got a gunshot sound...of course he had to find a new bird to record a different pitch.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    GM Helicopter may have posed some problems. But apparently the Applause sample posed a problem...

Apparently, not telling anyone about this library ended up with a small number of people showing up to help out in the applause..
    Later that evening the Girlie Men gave a concert and we were able to get that Applause sample:

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I'm really interested in the Garritan GM helicopter
    sound, myself.

Rumor has it, Gary ran into a few problems with
    the sampling:

Yes I did run into a few problems. It was when I was recording the gunshot samples just as the helicopter arrived

Go Back to forum