• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO vs. EWQLSO Silver?

Share/Bookmark

GPO vs. EWQLSO Silver?

I'm curious, how would people who have used/tried both, compare the two libraries? Advantages and disadvantages of each?

Re: GPO vs. EWQLSO Silver?

I guess this is the wrong place for this question , but I do have both these libraries. In my very humble opinion, Silver is not a match for GPO. I admit Silver has some strengths, perhaps in the brass section, but the woodwinds are simply unacceptable, and can not even compare with GPO's glorious woodwinds. The flutes sound like wolves howling on the prairies, the oboes and cor anglais are completely out of tune with each other, the list goes on ...... I'm not saying its a bad library over all, but for the same price, GPO stands out above.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi,
    Louis is right. GPO wins this battle, hands down.
    Steph

I have to add one more important thing about the difference between GPO and Silver, and please, this is only MY opinion on the matter :

When you receive your copy of GPO you get a manual and this community to help you get it up and running in no time. The GPO manual explains EXACTLY how to use the library, including Key Switches, controllers etc.

Unfortunately this is simply not the case with Silver. You receive a very imressive box, way too big for the contents in my opinion, and you receive a "manual" telling you not how to use Silver, but instead telling you of all the benefits of eventually upgrading to the bigger libraries EWQLSO has to offer. To put it bluntly, they give you a manual describing the luxuries of a Porche when you're actually buying a VW Polo So most simple customers, like me, are left completely clueless as to how to use the library.......

I sometimes wonder why not more people have complained about this.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi Again,

Yes, that's frustrating too. You get the fancy box, you're all excited wanting to get going...you're reading about all of the cool things that you can do and then WHAM!! It hits you...the manual is for Platinum not Silver..then you want to throw things and cry....
    Well, that was my experience w/Silver...

BUT to be fair, I must add that I did upgrade to Gold XP, and am happy with it.

Steph

P.S. - Silver has been collecting dust in the cabinet for a long time now. I just find it unusuable - the missing tails are probably the biggest problem for me.

East West has some very impressive products in their line, and some of them are definitely on my "wish list". I had a chance to briefly demo the Gold edition some months back, though, and there is just no way I would trade GPO for it. As far as authenticity of sound, with so many viable pieces of orchestral software available, that aspect pretty much boils down to a subjective evaluation. To my ear, in that regard GPO meets or exceeds any other program out there, regardless of price. When you factor in the integration with notation programs (i.e. Sibelius, Finale, etc.), flexibility, technical support, price, and user community support (this forum!) -- well, it's pretty much no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by maiki
    I'm curious, how would people who have used/tried both, compare the two libraries? Advantages and disadvantages of each?

Regardless of library, the sound one achieves is dependent on the level of knowledge/practice with a library. Just as a pawn shop violin might sound horrible in the hands of a beginner but wonderfull in the hands of Itzak Perlman, a sample library will sound either wonderfull or horrible depending on the knowledge of sample manipulation and knowing your samples. I see no reason for comparison as it will boil down to individual taste/preference.

My main "real" instrument is not top of the line in the price dept, however I would not trade it for the most expensive instrument of the same nature as I know it's nuiances inside and out, and other instruments feel/sound funny to me. GPO has a similar effect, it just feels right to me.
    Robert Davis

Thumbs up Re: GPO vs. EWQLSO Silver?

it just feels right to me.
    Robert sums it up nicely.
    As for myself, I have encountered a few people who use Silver, Gold, and Platinum exclusively and have been quite impressed with their demos. I have played them demos using GPO exclusively and they were quite impressed. The one aspect of EWQL products I have noticed are the samples. Already there to sift through to find what you may need or come close to what you need. GPO has spoken for itself as not only a useful tool but most importantly as a "Teacher"! All of us here have learned how to take a sample from GPO and add what we like to it to archive the desired sound or effect we need.
    I have to admit to hearing some phenomenal demos using Silver or Gold and the other products. However, non have come close to GPO in every aspect. And there is one all too important element that makes GPO and the other Garritan products a cut above the rest, Gary Garritan. What other developer has been so in tune to the needs, desires, requests and suggestions of his customers?
    I'm a GPO'er loyally. As Robert stated, "it just feels right to me."
    Styxx

[QUOTE=Styxx]
    Garritan products a cut above the rest, Gary Garritan. What other developer has been so in tune to the needs, desires, requests and suggestions of his customers?
    QUOTE]

Hmm I failed to mention that part. Now I feel bad styxx! Mr G, well you cannot go wrong with that Orcas dwelling bloke! Nicest person you can run across in this industry! Now if we can sample him(clone gary) and populate the world with such people, we would have the greatest planet in which to live on.

Hey there is an idea for the future! GPG. Your own personal Mr G! OK sorry bad joke
    Robert Davis

The problem with the original version of Silver is that it is missing many instruments that are included with GPO. Also, Silver is not chromatically sampled as GPO is. To save space, EW stretched many notes which causes vibrato on strings and woodwinds to really vary from note to note. To get many of the extra instruments that GPO has, you need to also purchase the Silver Pro upgrade.

Jim

Go Back to forum