• Register
  • Help

Topic: Eugene Dolan's Reminiscense Rag Performed at Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival

Share/Bookmark

Eugene Dolan's Reminiscense Rag Performed at Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival

Last November, Eugene posted his "Reminiscence Rag" using the GPO Steinway. See his post here:

Eugene wrote that his work "was heard by one of the the organisers of the Scott Joplin International Ragtime Festival in Sedalia. They requested the score, and the piece was performed live on 2 pianos in this year's Festival (in June). The piece was "Reminiscence Rag". So full marks to the GPO Forum and the power of the GPO samples! Also thanks to pianist Sue Keller and her husband Howard who made it all possible."

A Scott Joplin Ratime Festival - what fun! If possible it would be nice to hear the live version too!

Congratulations Euguene. Wishing you many more successes!

Gary Garritan

Re: Eugene Dolan's Reminiscense Rag Performed at Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival

Here is the live performance from Sedalia - 2 pianos, played by Sue Keller and Colm "Stride" O'Brien.

http://indigo.ie/~edolan/Demo12.mp3

CONGRATULATIONS Eugene!!!!

That is awesome.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Hi!

I haven't really liked the Joplin ragtimes in a melodical way, but I liked yours! The chromatic melody-idea is very cool!

Congrats!!!

Eugene:

Good writing in the "Rag" genre. This is a little slower than most I have heard, but it is a real nice flowing melodic piece. Kind of sets you mind to that piano period instantaneously.

Congratulations on its live performance and your hard work on its way to being "born."

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: Eugene Dolan's Reminiscense Rag Performed at Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival

I don't know what it is about this genre that's makes it my favorite. Maybe it's the pure innocent melodies and stride type bass in the left hand. This Rag is no exception. I actually love the tempo, which in my estimation totally approximates the overall modal texture in a nutshell. A piece a player would end with after high-energy rags all night long. Perfect! Dynamics are wonderful! Retards are perfect! The ending was superb! Bravo and I applaud as well!
    Mr. Scott Joplin would have been proud.

I’m going to play it again, Sham.
    Styxx

Just listened to the live version, Eugene. The performance
    is a scintillating delectation, beautifully done.

Many congratulations on a fine performance of this -- and
    likewise on the very distinguished venue!

Well deserved!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Smile Re: Eugene Dolan's Reminiscense Rag Performed at Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival

Thanks a lot to JerryW, Karvasika, Rhap2, Styxx and EtLux for your very welcome remarks. It was really great to hear the rag done live at Sedalia, performed so well by Sue and Colm and with great audience reaction! Colm played the basic rag on piano 1 while Sue added her improvisatory part on piano 2. Both were Kawai grands, as can be seen here:

http://indigo.ie/~edolan/Sedaliao6KAwai.jpg

For the technically minded the signal from 2 Audio Technica AT825 mics was fed through a Presonus M80 preamp into a Tascam DA78 DAT recorder at 44.1k/24-bit.
    Sue Keller's website is at:
    http://www.rtpress.com/
    and Colm's is at:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~colmstrideobrien/

Eugene

Go Back to forum