• Register
  • Help

Topic: External hard drive and use of romplers

Share/Bookmark

External hard drive and use of romplers

Because the sample-files of the new sofware instruments seem to increase all the time, I need an additional/portable hard drive for my dual-disc PC.

I'm considering between two optional (budget) alternatives,
    I'd like to get your comments concerning the following hardware:

- Maxtor OneTouch II FW800 300GB 7200rpm 16Mb
    USB2/FW400/800 (average search time 9 ms)

- Lacie 300GB d2 Triple Extreme II USB2.0 / FW400 / FW800
    7200rpm 8 Mb (average seach time 10 ms)

Have you any preferencies /opinions of these? Other recommendations?

How well do think software as EWQLSO Gold, BFD-drums, and Atmosphere will work with the sample data in the external drive connected with the FW400/FW800?

Harry

Re: External hard drive and use of romplers

Harry,
    I'm going thru the same situation as you .....I originally thought that running firewire 800 was my fastest alternative until I remembered this company...
    Go thru the entire site .....I think you will find some interesting H.D. setups from this company .....External PCI / SATA ??......Yeah, that's the ticket .....Jim

http://www.wiebetech.com/home.php

Jim, Thanks for your comment, very useful. You are right, PCI/SATA is absolutely fastest/best way to do this for the workstations. But if you want also keep the option of connecting the ext. drive to your laptop "on the road",
    you needed (?) some kind of PCMCA-card/SATA for your laptop. Harry

One addition:

One argument against the SATA could be that the eSATA PCI-card uses much CPU resources (that it sucks constantly some of the CPU, even when not using the drive) where the Firewire is more economical in that sense.
    I don't know if this is true or not, I just heard this kind of comment. (???)

I'm happy of any view/opinion concerning this.

Harry

PC P4 dual disc XP Pro RAM 1 GB

Harry,
    I was assuming that since you made mention of "sample files" that you would be using this setup with virtual instruments, and also samplers that have sample files ....I haven't done any real world tests yet , but there's not a lot I"m using my PCI slots for as it is anyway .... I'm sure it will take some toll on the CPU, but how much I'm not sure .... Just as I am not sure how much of a drain either firewire 400 or firewire 800 puts on the CPU ????...I'm sure that there is a trade off somewhere down the road, but with the speed of the CPU's of late, I don't think that there would be that much of a drain ... I'm more inclined to go with PCI for the speed of loading and playing .... Paitience is not in my vocabulary.....I'm only going this external route because I am waiting for Conroe to come into play, and then I will build an entire computer around Kontakt , in the mean time , I want to use the external for Kontakt samples, and load the Kontakt 2 application on my application H.D. , as my system is setup for Giga now , with my large internal H.D.'s holding my GIGA samples ....This way when Conroe is out , and I build a seperate computer for Kontakt , I will already have my samples loaded on the external drive , and ready to go with the new computer .... I like to have as much access to my samples as possible, plus with the trays that slide in and out , it's a no brainer for me ......YMMV ......Good Luck ......Jim

Jim, relevant comments.
    btw, have you any recommendations concerning the
    different drive manufacturer; I notice e.g. that Iomega's eSATA is one
    which is not too costly. Harry

Harry,
    With all things considered ( speed, reliability, operating temps, lack of noise, etc ) I've had pretty good luck with the Seagate drives...The beauty of having all samples loaded into an external dual drive setup is that you can run RAID 0 and if your drives fail for any reason , you still have the samples on DVD as a backup ...You can also locate an external drive in a quiet location that has plenty of ventilation ...So you have a cool, fast , running drive with backup already on DVD media ...Good Luck .....Jim

2nd vote for Seagate and a strong word of caution on LaCie and Maxtor drives. There is a long discussion on the Sound Design Yahoo group about drive failures, and LaCie and Maxtor aren't spoken of highly...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_O
    Because the sample-files of the new sofware instruments seem to increase all the time, I need an additional/portable hard drive for my dual-disc PC.

I'm considering between two optional (budget) alternatives,
    I'd like to get your comments concerning the following hardware:

- Maxtor OneTouch II FW800 300GB 7200rpm 16Mb
    USB2/FW400/800 (average search time 9 ms)

- Lacie 300GB d2 Triple Extreme II USB2.0 / FW400 / FW800
    7200rpm 8 Mb (average seach time 10 ms)

Have you any preferencies /opinions of these? Other recommendations?

How well do think software as EWQLSO Gold, BFD-drums, and Atmosphere will work with the sample data in the external drive connected with the FW400/FW800?

Harry
    Avoid the MAxtor One Touch II... I thought this would be a good solution to sharing my samples between a couple of machines (not simultaneously). It constantly crashed Cubase and my computer, and often fell asleep, unable to wake up. I removed it, put another internal drive (also Maxtor) in my main machine, and haven't had a single crash since. I can't share my samples between machines, so I do all my work on the one machine.

I still have the One Touch which I may use as a back up drive, but I'm happy with the two internal drives I have.

R.

Go Back to forum