• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this normal?

Share/Bookmark

Is this normal?

i have a new machine (AMD 1 Ghz ) and 128 megs of DDR ram. If I load one piano sound (East West Steinway B) it takes 79% of my memory! For one instrument! Is this normal? I thought Gigastudio just loaded the beginning of the sample, not the whole damn thing. At this rate i\'ll have to have a Gigabyte of RAM just to put together a half decent sized jazz combo.

I\'v tried to load the piano and larry seyer\'s upright bass and it crashes every time.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just have to purchase more memory?

I really hope someone can shed some light on this.

thanks
    Gigagagga

Re: Is this normal?

Yes, you need more memory. Memory usage in Gigastudio is based on the number of samples in a given instrument. The more samples in an instrument (a lot for a six layer piano!) the more memory. If you take your memory usage over 80% you are looking at a very likely crash. Try looking back a few weeks worth of posts in the hardware section (I don\'t have the link handy). We discussed this and it may be of some help to you. The Nemesys website also explains the use of RAM.
    Your using a Gigabyte motherboard, right? I believe it has two DDR slots which means you should probably buy a 256MB Dimm. The 512\'s are very expensive, but with a 128 you\'d find yourself upgrading too soon and at the cost of throwing one of your dimms out. I\'m doing pretty well with 320 MB\'s (a full orchestra doesn\'t ever put me much over 50%). With a total of 384 you should be okay, even if you are planning on running a sequencer along side of GS.

[This message has been edited by astrt4 (edited 02-10-2001).]

Astrt4

Thanks for the info, this forum really is a big to people who are trying to find their way in this stuff! I really want to make sure that the machine I purchased will give me all 160 voices and if I need more RAM thats ok cause the sounds are out of this world. I don\'t think I\'v heard anything that even comes remotely close.

thanks again
    Gigagagga

Yeah, I recommend getting at least 512MB. It costs $$$ but it is worth it to be able to load lots of stuff without running out of memory. Piano samples like GigaPiano seem to be especially memory intensive due to the number of playable notes (88) plus the multiple velocity layers.

Like I stated in other posts, RAM is cheaper now per meg than it\'s ever been. You can buy Micron PC133 CL2 (or CAS2) 256MB RAM (the best, I think) @ www.crucial.com (owned by Micron) for $118 + $10 Overnight shipping. Both of my machines are now up to 768 Meg of RAM now.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Go Back to forum