• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: teachers also compose!

Share/Bookmark

Talking teachers also compose!

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/Belkin/S8.mp3

(My 8th symphony, in one movement, recently revised.)
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Re: teachers also compose!

of course, I'm biassed...
    but I love everything Alan does.
    and I've had the great pleasure of being at a few premieres of his chamber and orchestral works.

Quote Originally Posted by belkina
    http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/Belkin/S8.mp3

(My 8th symphony, in one movement, recently revised.)
    Alan,

Just breaktaking! You wrote the book on ochestration (litereally) and your music shows it. Eight Symphony implies there are at least seven more . Do you have recordings available of your other works?

Alan, can you tell us more about yourself? How long you have been orchestrating and teaching orchestration?

I am so glad you posted your music and I urge evyone here to give a listen to your work.

Gary Garritan

Thanks, Gary, for the kind words.

I have been composing for over 30 years, and have a doctorate in composition from the Juilliard School. I teach composition, orchestration, etc., at the University of Montreal (in French, although English is my native language).

Yes, there are 7 other symphonies, and 4 quartets, as well as various other chamber works, works for solo piano, organ, etc. ...

Everything exists in simulations, of varying quality, depending when they were done. The simulation of my 8th here referred to is the latest one; I'm fairly proud of it. There have been a few live performances of (a few of) the symphonies, but often there are mistakes, or the sound quality is not good. As I often say, a good live performance is better than a simulation, but a good simulation is better than a so-so or lousy live performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Alan,

Just breaktaking! You wrote the book on ochestration (litereally) and your music shows it. Eight Symphony implies there are at least seven more . Do you have recordings available of your other works?

Alan, can you tell us more about yourself? How long you have been orchestrating and teaching orchestration?

I am so glad you posted your music and I urge evyone here to give a listen to your work.

Gary Garritan
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Alan,

It is an honor to have someone of your impeccable creditials and experience here sharing your knowledge with us.

I urge people to visit your website http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html where they can download your free texts on composition, counterpoint,orchestration, and harmony and other fantastic resources you have made available to the music community.

Thanks Alan!

Gary Garritan

Professor,

I just had one of those "slap your forehead moments". I have been using your on-line papers for a month or two... and had no idea you were the same guy. My forehead is getting pretty sore!

I will be starting college this Fall, at he ripe old age of 35, majoring in music composition. Your papers and the Priciples have been an invaluable resource for me. As a newbie to orchestral/ classical writing, I appreciate all the work you have put into these.

I enoyed the 8th. It certainly has made me realize how little I know about the craft of writing. If you did not have so much on your plate, then I would ask for you to start a critique thread. Having someone with your experience and knowledge tear apart my music would be a heaven sent learning experience. I am sure, as well, that you hear enough beginners, through your regular classes, to last a lifetime.

Anyway...I bow to a superior!

Thank you for the classes... and for the 8th
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

I am glad my work has been of use to you. :-)

As far as critiques, I have been tossing around the idea of doing a master class here (Montreal) next summer. Probably a full weekend, held at the university where I teach, with some participants (selected in advance) getting "lessons", in front of the others. I would charge nothing, or only a nominal fee to cover expenses, and each person attending would be responsable for arranging their own trip, accomodation, etc...

Do you think there would be interest in such an event?

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    Professor,

I just had one of those "slap your forehead moments". I have been using your on-line papers for a month or two... and had no idea you were the same guy. My forehead is getting pretty sore!

I will be starting college this Fall, at he ripe old age of 35, majoring in music composition. Your papers and the Priciples have been an invaluable resource for me. As a newbie to orchestral/ classical writing, I appreciate all the work you have put into these.

I enoyed the 8th. It certainly has made me realize how little I know about the craft of writing. If you did not have so much on your plate, then I would ask for you to start a critique thread. Having someone with your experience and knowledge tear apart my music would be a heaven sent learning experience. I am sure, as well, that you hear enough beginners, through your regular classes, to last a lifetime.

Anyway...I bow to a superior!

Thank you for the classes... and for the 8th
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

Professor,

I know that I would be interested. As long as I had enough time to figure out how to pay for it! LOL Ahhh the student life for me! That has been one of the hardest parts about going back to school full-time...no money to spare. Mind you, I was not ready for formal schooling when I was in my 20's. Playing in a rock band and working seemed like enough at the time. Suffice to say, money will be tight for the next few years. Let me know how to sign up... I will have to talk to Berea College and see if I can get credit for the experience. Students are encouraged to do exchange programs for our short term, January. Perhaps, at the least, I can get help paying from Berea. Alas, I am rambling! :::must...stay...on...topic:::

Anyway, I would love to attend!!
    Thanks,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

This is one ouststanding and amazingly beautiful symphony, Professor Belkin. Thanks very much for posting it and many thanks for your priceless contribution to this course.

David.

PS: Wish I lived close enough to take your classes.

***bump***

Go Back to forum