• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Elegie: Impressionism

Share/Bookmark

Elegie: Impressionism

Elegie was originally composed as a piano piece. I wanted to see what it sounded like in an orchestral setting, so I transcribed it for orchestra.

Elegie (Elegy) is a term for a "pensive" musical offering--a piece denotating sorrow or lament. In this case, I offer it on the Fourth to reflect the sorrows of past and present as our world tries to "get-it-all-together."

The instrumentation is:

piccolo. 2 flutes, oboe, harp, celesta, and full strings with the AG string samples to provide extra emphasis at designated points.

http://www.cannonscores.com/Elegie.mp3

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Elegie: Impressionism

Jack, this is superb. Excellent orchestration and
    color, and carried off compositionally with thorough-
    going skill and finesse.

Lush and rich, but with such control and, well, there's
    no other word for it, taste -- I'll probably have this
    looping half the afternoon.

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

P.S.:
    You might check the bass balance in a few places.

Nice writing, Jack! Your musical colorizations are very good and your final transition to the major mode is excellent.

Enjoyed it!

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thank you David and Larry. You guys are priceless and I really appreciate your motivating comments. I'm getting used to digital sampling a little more and understand more about it. There is so much to learn about samples and the mixing process. It's just mind-boggling and so is Digital Performer.

David, I am just in the process of using "automated faders, reverb sends, pan settings, etc.," so it makes the finished product sound a little more "human."

To you both: Thanks again for listening. Larry, hope things are shaping up in your direction every day that goes by. We need you here.......believe it.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack,

This is really superb - both in terms of capturing the elegaic quality, and in terms of the orchestration. Very economical=very effective, in this case.
    The piece is haunting, and quite moving. It's like modern Debussy - please take that as a compliment!

Ron

Ron:

Thanks so much for listening and your positive comments, especially regarding the elegaic quality and the orchestration. You are absolutely right, it was an "economical orchestra," and I was hoping it would do the job. It makes me especially happy that you commented on this point.

Thanks again,

Jack

Simply splendid music! I really enjoyed it. It captures the imagination. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Ron:

Thanks so much for listening and your positive comments, especially regarding the elegaic quality and the orchestration. You are absolutely right, it was an "economical orchestra," and I was hoping it would do the job. It makes me especially happy that you commented on this point.

Thanks again,

Jack
    Jack,

While Debussy and Ravel used large orchestras, there are a lot of "holes" in their scores - a few instruments at a time. Kind of like a having a number of chamber ensembles on stage at once. Then again Mahler often did the same thing ( but keeping everyone around for the big climaxes! ). Great if you can afford it

All the best,

Ron

Wonderful work, Jack!

A very evocative arrangement... stirs up all kinds of visuals.

Very pensive, indeed!

Fantastic!

~Jeff

Jeff and LouisD:

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen. I feel fortunate that I am a member of a Forum with such great people.

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast