• Register
  • Help

Topic: Taiko Samples?

Share/Bookmark

Taiko Samples?

I am looking for good taiko and other drum samples like the ones used in many recent movie scores (Gladiator, Last Samurai, etc.). I need samples that are compatable with Sibelius and GPO and inexpensive as possible.. any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Brandon S.

Re: Taiko Samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon S.
    I am looking for good taiko and other drum samples like the ones used in many recent movie scores (Gladiator, Last Samurai, etc.). I need samples that are compatable with Sibelius and GPO and inexpensive as possible.. any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Brandon S.
    There will be Taiko drums in the upcoming General MIDI collection. In the meantime you might want to check with Sibelius to see if any of the sounds in their player may be what you are looking for.

Gary Garritan

Only drum in Sibelius that even gets close to a taiko is the low floor tom, and that isn't close enough. I think my keyboard may have taiko drum sounds. If it does, I may (attempt) to record them from it and send you them as an MP3 for you to split, merge, and etc.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I've been looking at products such as "Stormdrum" and "Rare Instruments" , they seem to have great samples of many different kinds of drums but i am not sure if they are compatable with GPO and Sibelius so i could compose music with them...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon S.
    I've been looking at products such as "Stormdrum" and "Rare Instruments" , they seem to have great samples of many different kinds of drums but i am not sure if they are compatable with GPO and Sibelius so i could compose music with them...
    Hi
    I use Stormdrum quite a bit and it has a large selection of taikos and other big drums. (also has loops) I'm not sure what you mean by compatable with GPO and Sibelius, but it you're talking about a player to use it with, no worries - it comes with it's own player. I might be able to answer more questions if you'd like, I just need to know what you mean.
    Steph

I think it means that it operates as a MIDI controller, kind of like GPO. That way, he just goes into Sibelius, selects it from the output menu, and set the channels.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I'm currently wrestling with Storm Drum and Rare Instruments myself! There is a group buy that ends tomorrow I think!

If you just need the drums, and If you hadn't mentioned budget I'd have suggested Storm Drum myself.

There are Taiko and other "rare" drum soundfonts out there for free. You tend to get what you pay for, but I've found a handful or two that are really quite good. (I found a Tabla that was wonderful, and a Taiko that was quite useable at Hammersound)

Bill

I think it means that it operates as a MIDI controller, kind of like GPO. That way, he just goes into Sibelius, selects it from the output menu, and set the channels.
    That is precisely what i mean , thanks , i am most impressed with stormdrum's drums myself and i am relieved that it will have its own player... u have all been a lot of help , thanks ...

Brandon S.

Go Back to forum