• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Dynaudio BM5a = cheap, nice monitor!!

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

OT: Dynaudio BM5a = cheap, nice monitor!!

I have always been a fan of Dynaudio BM6a's. However, I have a gig which will require me to pack an entire composing rig for a month out of town, and 6a's are unfortunately a little bulky (and loud/penetrating) for the requirements of the trip, and the spaces available for me to work.

So, I checked out the smaller BM5a. Other than just a bit less headroom and low bass, the 5a's image just as remarkably well as the 6a's. Best of all, they are extremely cheap for their sound, a little less than $1k for the pair!! These are very definitely the best sounding monitors I heard anywhere near their price.

If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced, very accurate mixing monitor, I would certainly recommend them. They will be knocking my NS-10's off secondary monitor duty, once I'm back in town. They are fantastic for balancing--I am hearing things in these that I don't hear in the much more expensive mains!!!

Re: OT: Dynaudio BM5a = cheap, nice monitor!!

I recently bought a pair. Spent a couple days in Guitar Center listening to Mackie, Event, Alesis, KRK, etc. in the $1k range and found the little Dynaudios to be the clear winner. I see comparatively little mention of the BM5a's -- glad to know I'm not alone.

I've listened to the BM5a a few times--A/B'ing them with other popular monitors like Mackie, Yamaha, Event, KRK..etc. They are definitely great little monitors, but I think for the price, I'd rather get a good 8' like the HR824 or Yamaha Hs8M (which is a lot cheaper) for the extended bass and more "open" soundstage.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    I've listened to the BM5a a few times--A/B'ing them with other popular monitors like Mackie, Yamaha, Event, KRK..etc. They are definitely great little monitors, but I think for the price, I'd rather get a good 8' like the HR824 or Yamaha Hs8M (which is a lot cheaper) for the extended bass and more "open" soundstage.
    I thought about both of those, but I a/b'ed the same lineup, and for the size and price the BM5a's came out on top. I have the perfect little flight cases for them, and actually, when I got them home in my room, I was extremely pleased with both the bass and the soundstage.

In fact, yesterday at one point I reached up and felt a cone to see if the sound was coming from the Dynaudio's or the mains, which are JBL 4012's!! I've had both the HR-824's and the Dynaudio 6a's sitting in exactly the same place, and the 824's don't really hold up. The 6a's are killer, and I would have gotten them if I'd had my preference, but I needed something smaller and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    ...They will be knocking my NS-10's off secondary monitor duty, once I'm back in town....
    What are your primary speakers, Bruce? Also, what's your approach to dealing with low end? I'm talking about final mixing (in my case a rock CD), not composing. What do you think of subs? I'm afraid that in my not-very-well-tuned room they'll end up hurting more than helping.

I have are NS10s right now and starting to consider what I should go with. Not sure yet what my budget will be. But I know that I always seem to struggle with low end, always seems to be too little or too much, and I'm a little nervous about getting even 6" speakers.

Thanks.

buzz

Agreed! I've been using Dynaudios since '98.

- G

............So, I checked out the smaller BM5a. Other than just a bit less headroom and low bass, the 5a's image just as remarkably well as the 6a's. Best of all, they are extremely cheap for their sound, a little less than $1k for the pair!! These are very definitely the best sounding monitors I heard anywhere near their price...........
    Wow, that's cheap?.....or is it, actually, dear?

One man's cheap is another man's dear...........funny old world isn't it?

Frank

Thumbs up Re: OT: Dynaudio BM5a = cheap, nice monitor!!

Yep..The Bm5as are killer!!..I did a test with the 5aa, Events precision 6 & 8s and the mackies 8s..For mixing the Bm5a's are the best. I heard and still do hear things in my own mixes that i could did not show up before..

I always recommend Dyna's to everyone especially the 5a's..

I thought about both of those, but I a/b'ed the same lineup, and for the size and price the BM5a's came out on top. I have the perfect little flight cases for them, and actually, when I got them home in my room, I was extremely pleased with both the bass and the soundstage.
    Hi,
    I need mobile monitors and these sound cool. I have the original BM5's but they're a little sluggish (they also require me to drag around a heavy power-amp}. Do you mind me asking what you used to flight case these Bruce?

It'd be interesting also to hear how the BM5A's fare while you are on the road, - I tend to keep them as close to me as possible when rigging in different rooms, and near-fields can get fatiguing after long sessions.
    The best I monitors I've found in crap rooms (both for listening and later translating the mixes) were Quad Electrostats. Perhaps something to do with bi-polar speakers causing less reflections / standing waves than ported speakers.

hey guys i just bought the Genelec 8030's... they are also good or i have to sell them to buy Dynaudio's?

Go Back to forum