• Register
  • Help

Topic: Summer Sax

Summer Sax

Summer Sax

Summer Sax is one of those pieces that gets stuck in my head while composing and I have to get it out (of my head) and into the world before I can move on to pieces that are more interesting to me as a composer. My current feelings towards Summer Sax is one of ambivalence, and I am not sure how well the over all structure works. But as I said it seems to have taken on a life of its own, and demands to be released into the world. And until I do, it will not let me continue on my other projects.

Summer Sax is for fives Saxes (Two Altos, Two Tenors, and Bari, a standard Big Band setup) and a three piece rhythm section.

The link will take you the Sibelius Score and the MP3 file. You will need to have the Scorch plug in to see the score, but you do not need it to access the MP3 file. The MP3 file was created with JABB and is still a bit raw any all suggestions on improving the mix will be most welcomed.

Ed Sharpe
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/

Re: Summer Sax

Unconventional it may be, Ed, but I'd say a successful
    and darned interesting piece.

The rendering on the whole is quite, quite good -- and
    especially well done use of percussion and that subtle
    piano riding harmonic shotgun.

The one thing I found a little unsettling was the rather
    abrupt jump in dynamic around 0:39.

I've had this looping several times while I type, Ed.
    It grows on you, as the brain learns to deal with some
    of the complexity. If anything, I'd say you should take
    this down the road a bit further...

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very cool piece. It really it musically and also watching the score as it tracked the playback. I don't write in this style so it was fun to see how it was done by yourself. Nice use of the instruments, very effective.

Dear David & Gary:

Thank you for the comments and the suggestions. Thank you and everyone who took time to listen.

// Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/

Really nice piece. A refreshing escape from the full orchestra. The drums sound so realistic. Great job; like the dissonance.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Go Back to forum