In my last installment, I said I planned to try realizing the string parts with GOS. Sadly, that hasn't worked out, since I'm having problems with GOS in Kontakt 2 again. I'd had problems before, but I thought I'd had them worked out. Now, short bow programs seem to be working OK, but long bows are making no sound at all. This started happening after I installed the latest K2 update, so I may need to roll back to the previous version. Either that or reprogram all the long bow programs I need from scratch, but who has time to do that? (And besides, by the time I figure out how to do it, GPOA will probably be out.)
This version builds on part 3a, which was all GPO (except for the piano, which is, as always, the PMI Bosendorfer).
First of all, I replaced the oboe with the Westgate oboe, which was probably unnecessary since the oboe only doubles the violins, and changing it really made no difference in the sound. The first horn, though, is now a Project SAM solo horn, which I just love.
The main focus of part 3, however, is on the strings. Since I can't use GOS for the time being, I stayed with GPO and tried layering in various solo and chamber strings. The combination that really struck me is the GPO strings layered with some chamber strings from Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Strings. This is Kirk's original string library, the one that was originally $995 and is now being cleared out for $49. I got it a few months ago because I couldn't pass up the bargain. I haven't found much use for the library by itself, but I find that the chamber strings really work nicely for layering.
I used an expressive 2-violin patch from KHVS to double the melody in the first violins, and later, where the violas take over, I layered in an expressive 2-viola patch. It really adds some warmth and depth to the sound, I think. I left the other strings alone.
Up to now, everything has gone through a single instance of the Pristine Space reverb, the one that comes bundled with Sonar 5. For the next installment of this project, I'm going to experiment with a more elaborate setup with multiple instances of Gigapulse. We'll see what happens.