• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Concerto Project - Part 3b

Share/Bookmark

The Concerto Project - Part 3b

http://www.swanswingpress.com/MP3/Co...GPO%20etc).mp3

In my last installment, I said I planned to try realizing the string parts with GOS. Sadly, that hasn't worked out, since I'm having problems with GOS in Kontakt 2 again. I'd had problems before, but I thought I'd had them worked out. Now, short bow programs seem to be working OK, but long bows are making no sound at all. This started happening after I installed the latest K2 update, so I may need to roll back to the previous version. Either that or reprogram all the long bow programs I need from scratch, but who has time to do that? (And besides, by the time I figure out how to do it, GPOA will probably be out.)

Anyway.

This version builds on part 3a, which was all GPO (except for the piano, which is, as always, the PMI Bosendorfer).

First of all, I replaced the oboe with the Westgate oboe, which was probably unnecessary since the oboe only doubles the violins, and changing it really made no difference in the sound. The first horn, though, is now a Project SAM solo horn, which I just love.

The main focus of part 3, however, is on the strings. Since I can't use GOS for the time being, I stayed with GPO and tried layering in various solo and chamber strings. The combination that really struck me is the GPO strings layered with some chamber strings from Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Strings. This is Kirk's original string library, the one that was originally $995 and is now being cleared out for $49. I got it a few months ago because I couldn't pass up the bargain. I haven't found much use for the library by itself, but I find that the chamber strings really work nicely for layering.

I used an expressive 2-violin patch from KHVS to double the melody in the first violins, and later, where the violas take over, I layered in an expressive 2-viola patch. It really adds some warmth and depth to the sound, I think. I left the other strings alone.

Up to now, everything has gone through a single instance of the Pristine Space reverb, the one that comes bundled with Sonar 5. For the next installment of this project, I'm going to experiment with a more elaborate setup with multiple instances of Gigapulse. We'll see what happens.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: The Concerto Project - Part 3b

Dan,

With everything else you said...I like this piece very much. I understand your frustrations with the tools when they don't work correctly. Nothing worse that fighting with them. But your interim solution certainly leaves a good impression with me.

Thanks.

Gary

www.garybricault

This is great. I really enjoyed the piano. Is that being played thru MIDI or are you performing it then adding the strings later? It sounds so natural. I am working on a piano piece and am a little hesitant about composing for that instrument. I don't have much skills in that area but enjoy writing for the instrument. Anyway, good job and please post more.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

The piano is performed by my wife Martha, for whom I wrote the concerto. She recorded it as a MIDI file on a Yamaha grand piano with disklavier system at Sweetwater Sound last year.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Kudos for your fine work, Mr. Dan. Miss Martha is no slouch on piano also. I thoroughly enjoyed your music and her pianomanship. (I think that I just coined a new word.)

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Smile Re: The Concerto Project - Part 3b

Very nice! Especially I love the piano sounds.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Dan:

As I said before, "really a great composition." Is the FULL piano concerto rendered yet, even though you are going through different sections with a fine-tooth comb? I can understand your quest for "realism" with this piece as it deserves it, but is there a download of the whole concerto available yet?

BRAVO, Dan.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I did a rendition of the whole concerto with GPO as I was working on it. It wasn't much to listen to, though. Basically, I just saved the Finale file in MIDI format, opened it in Sonar, and did some minimal tweaking.

It got the point across, but I can't stand to listen to it now, especially now that I have Martha's performance to work with.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Dan:

Understand. Perhaps, when you finish completing your new arrangement we can listen to it or maybe on CD.

Cheers,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Impressive work on the rendering of this segment, Dan.
    Wonderful string work; highly convincing; and the piano
    is superb.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast