• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Camille Saint-SaŽns Piano Concerto - Movt 2

Share/Bookmark

Camille Saint-SaŽns Piano Concerto - Movt 2

Hi All:

Truth be known, I sorta scared to post my music amongst all these talented folk. I've been working with GPO for about 3 weeks, and think I'm just even with the learning curve. GOS was WAY too heavy for me, and I never quite got the hang of it.

Please listen and comment. It's the 2nd Movt to the Piano Concerto No 2 by Camille Saint-SaŽns. I just need some pointers here.

At this juncture, I'm not sure how avoid the 'staccato' on the woods running up and down. Also, this mix was done with headphones (an ultimate sin, but to Sennheiser HD-600's), but it's 3AM, so I have to.

I would REALLY appreciate some honest feedback, cold, hot or whatever. If it's broke, I need to fix it, if it needs more (smoother gliss), I need to know about it, and learn more of this WONDERFUL GPO stuff.

BTW, it's a VBR MP3 file, with highest quality I can muster w/o uploading the entire wav file.

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...anocont2-2.mp3

Steve

PS - I'm not sure how to post MP3's to this site, so I just included a link from my website, if that's OK.

Re: Camille Saint-SaŽns Piano Concerto - Movt 2

Well, I'll say this: the expression you get out of the piano is fabulous. Really excellent dynamincs there.

Put it this way Steve....we're going to have to ask you for the MIDI and project file to prove that this wasn't a record!

Unfortunately it's not a piece I'm familiar with (although I'm familiar with some of his other works) but it's the second time on this forum that I have been very pleased to have been introduced to a piece that I have really enjoyed. What a fabulous composition. Anyway, this means that I have nothing to compare your rendition to.

However, if I had bought a CD with this piece sounding just like yours, then I would have been delighted.

I'm really impressed that you have made this in your first 3 weeks. If you played the piano live, even if it was speeded up later.....I'm still very much impressed. The piano playing/ sequencing does sound absolutely stunning....I even thought that I could hear the pedals!! I haven't heard better. Did you manage to obtain a 'starter' MIDI file or did you play/enter the whole lot??

I'm using headphones so the mix sounds perfect to me....I can't fault it...it just sounds so totally authentic to me....the sparkling Concert hall ambience is perfect. What reverb did you use? The VBR MP3 file certainly does the trick....I need to swot up what this is!

BTW Welcome to the forum....I certainly look forward to hearing more like this! I hope that I'm able to approach your standard at some point.

Any info on your sequencing and methods would be appreciated.

For your info this is one of the rare pieces where, using the MS Media Player, the progress band reaches the end but the piece carries on for a time. This also makes it impossible to relocate a particular part to rehear it....I don't know why this happens and can't offer any suggestions to help. In other words, I note the elapsed time counter reading at the part I want to relisten to, rewind and when the counter reaches the same time it's at a different part of the piece every time!!

There were a couple of points in the piece where I would have maybe tried a subtle change with the strings (but I can't for the reasons mentioned) but this would be very churlish anyway when it is 99% perfect to my ears!! If this doesn't end up on Gary's demo page, I'll eat my (wife's) hat!

Steve, as you can tell I, thoroughly, enjoyed this. I do enjoy this forum when pieces like this turn up!!!

Thanks

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Well, I'll say this: the expression you get out of the piano is fabulous. Really excellent dynamincs there.
    Hey Fred, unless you're visiting Europe you should be in bed!!! IMHO!

Frank

Smile Re: Camille Saint-SaŽns Piano Concerto - Movt 2

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...anocont2-2.mp3

Dear Steve,

This is very nice! Absolutely fabulous. I love this performance.

Thanks for sharing your good music.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

[QUOTE=SteveMitchell]

Steve

I have played this concerto with orchestra a number of times and I have only one thing to say about your effort.......simply magnificent - its hard to believe its not a recording of a real performance. Piano is so real my Steinway Concert grand was winking at me in the other room and flapping its lid in approval.

You did a truly stunning job and I applaud your efforts as you must be a pianist to have captured the score at this level of expertise and sonic quality.
    The piano solo is stupendous.

YOU MADE MY DAY...and YEAR!!!!

MY KINGDOM IS YOURS.

Paul Ouzts
    Houston TX
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

It's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Hi All:

Truth be known, I sorta scared to post my music amongst all these talented folk.
    Steve,

First, although it's not true in all environments, you should never worry about posting here. The GPO community is all about mutual support and encouragement. I personally think that's the way it should be everywhere, but the fact that it's not makes me value the folks here all the more.

And that being said, I loved your piece. Absolutely wonderful music, no matter how it was created. The bottom line is always what comes out of the speakers, and this was very enjoyable!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Oh my goodness, such high praise, and I just wanted to know what it sounded like. Folks, let me clarify that I did not sequence the original file. That was done back in 1998 by my friend and collaborator Dr. David Siu. Yes, he does magnificent work, which is why he and I hooked up over the years, with me rendering a lot of his works, along with some of mine too. I picked this one to re-render because of its simplicity. I do know that from our conversations about the work, that it was step-sequenced, as are most of his sequences. Mine are step-sequenced too, a little phrase played here, single chord there - eventually, you get done. I just recently got back "in the mood" to do music after several bad years.

Anyway, all I did was to take the original 16-channel MIDI file, split the tracks, convert expression data, add/subtract velocity midi data, and render the work. My reason for posting it here was to see if I was on the right track. It's nice to know that I am.

I'd still like to know how to keep the woods from sounding staccato on their various runs up and down.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    I'd still like to know how to keep the woods from sounding staccato on their various runs up and down.
    Steve
    Is this piece supposed to be this fast?
    For the woods runs, because of the fast tempo, you would want to leave the attack (front) of these notes alone, but stretch the end so that it overlaps into the next note, try it and see.
    You may also want to consider reworking the strings at the tremelo sounding places that are around 1:28 and 4:20. Another thing to consider is that the low end should be rolled off considerably during the high piano registered notes around 3:35 there is too much key striking thud sound.
    Just a few ideas, in my very very humble opinion.
    I have great respect and admiration for you and this work, it is just great!

DPDan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast