• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strings, etc. keyswitches with Sibelius 4.0 ?

Share/Bookmark

Strings, etc. keyswitches with Sibelius 4.0 ?

Even tho I've had GPO for 2 years now , I am completely confused on how to effectively use keyswitches with strings and other instruments in my musical pieces .. The only software i use is Sibelius 4.0 and GPO , can anyone explain to me in detail how to use keyswitches effectively in my musical scores ?

Re: Strings, etc. keyswitches with Sibelius 4.0 ?

Brandon,

If you get the crossgrade from Sibelius ($49), you don't have to worry about keyswitches. Write in pizz, and you get pizzacato; write in arco, and it returns to normal bowing, etc. Also, you don't have to run any plug-ins to make crescendos work. I used GPO with Sib 3, and it was fine, but the integration with Sib 4 is well worth the extra few bucks. I know this didn't answer your question directly, but hopefull it will be a more total solution for you.

R. Pearl

I didn't know that, and I wish I did before I got Sibelius 4 without the crossgrade... Unfortunately, I have just finished spending a great deal of money upgrading my computer and buying new samples... ... not far into the future i can hopefully purchase this crossgrade , is there anyway to work with pizzicato, arco, etc. with just GPO and Sib. 4 , for now?

Thanks for the info, rpearl

Brandon S.

Brandon,

There are some plug-ins on the Garritan page, and perhaps on the Sibelius page that help with the keyswitches. You should post your question(s) on the Sibelius board - they can answer you more specifically (and accurately) than can I.

R. Pearl

There is an automated keyswitch plugin for Sibelius but it only does pizz. and arco for string parts in Sibelius ... ill look more into the sibelius forums , is the crossgraded Sibelius a standalone program or an expansion on the original? Maybe I can buy it soon but if I can get by for a little while without it that would be great...

Thanks again

Brandon S.

The crossgrade is software that allows Sibelius to "talk" directly to the GPO samples. If you already have GPO and Sib 4, then the crossgrade is all you need.
    Again, I'm not too sharp on the keyswitches, but the concept is that you put in a (specific) pitch out of the range of the instrument, and that triggers the keyswitch. Because it is out of the range of the instrument, it doesn't sound - check the documentation as to what pitches to what to which instrument.

Wish I could be of more help.

Ron

one solution to use without the crossgrade is to add a second track for each keyswith instrument you use and choose the same instrument for that track in the mixer. each time you want to change keyswitches, input a note in the new track before the passage begins (low F for pizz. on the last 16th note in a bar before the passage, for instance) this way you don't have to add extra notes to the music tracks. and when you want to print you can simply hide the keyswitch track. (click on hidden checkbox in the staff properties tool bar (sibelius 3)). i've been using this method in sib. 3 and it has worked pretty well. a little tedious, but it's better than adding unwanted notes to the "good" track. hope this helps.

Go Back to forum