• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga can find instruments... and yet it can't.

Share/Bookmark

Giga can find instruments... and yet it can't.

When loading a certain performance, GigaStudio claims it can't find certain instrument files. Yet those instruments show up in QuickSound, and can be loaded normally.

I've tried rebuilding the database several times, as well as deleting the "db" folder. Strangely, all this does is change the exact instruments that supposedly can't load. (A few seem to appear or disappear from the list.)

The only clue I have is that this performance was copied from another machine. But the instruments are identical and have been copied over to the second machine as well. (And as said, I can load the supposedly missing instruments via QuickSound.)

Any help would be warmly appreciated.

Mike

Re: Giga can find instruments... and yet it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    The only clue I have is that this performance was copied from another machine. But the instruments are identical and have been copied over to the second machine as well. (And as said, I can load the supposedly missing instruments via QuickSound.)
    Is the complete *path* to the instrument files (starting with drive letter and going through each level of folders/subfolders) exactly the same on the new machine as it was on the old machine?

If an instrument file was located, on machine 1, at:
    c:/samples/subfolder/subsubfolder/instrument.gig
    and is now located at:
    c:/samples/subfolder/gigs/subsubfolder/instrument.gig
    it won't be where Giga thinks it is, based upon the performance data...

Might that be the cause?
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: Giga can find instruments... and yet it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Is the complete *path* to the instrument files (starting with drive letter and going through each level of folders/subfolders) exactly the same on the new machine as it was on the old machine?
    ?
    I thought the whole point of QuickSound was to abstract instruments from their filepath. If I move an instrument on a given machine, QuickSound seems to be able to find it easily enough. I'm not sure why changing machines should be any different.

In any event, the effect seems very inconsistent, making me suspect some kidn of bug.

Go Back to forum