• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Snowflight" Mvts. 1-4 ~ Chappelle

Share/Bookmark

"Snowflight" Mvts. 1-4 ~ Chappelle

Half-completed so far, this is my very first large multi-movement orchestral work.

The orchestration is very specifically groupings of three different choirs: The Woodwinds (Flute, English Horn, Bb Clarinet, Bassoon, with occasionally Piccolo on top), the Struck (Celesta, Marimba, Harp, Piano), and the Strings (Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass)

Pardon some of the rough edges on the sample manipulation. I'll most likely go back for a second polishing job once everything is written.

1 - Outskirts I - 2:09
    2 - Morning Life - 4:50
    3 - Outskirts II - 2:19
    4 - The Forest - 4:14

Yet to come...
    5 - Outskirts III
    6 - Mourning Death
    7 - Soar

All GPO except for strings, which are EWQL.

All comments, criticisms, etc. are welcome~

Re: "Snowflight" Mvts. 1-4 ~ Chappelle

I've listened to all four, Leif, with the greatest pleasure
    and favor.

Just plain gorgeous work... superb orchestration, harmonic
    work, melodic creation, and consistently innovative and
    satisfying writing and development... yet unfailingly moving
    and evocative.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Leif,
    This is definately a compilation to be proud of!! I listened and enjoyed very much!! As for the techical stuff...I agree with David!! Very nice work!
    Steph

Leif,

Excellent composition and very fine orchestration using GPO. Each movement was uniquely set apart from the other. Each extremely enjoyable.

One tiny thing, I am listening through headphone and I found the bass a little overwhelming in #1 & #4. But that aside it is a work to be proud of. I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I've listened to all four, Leif, with the greatest pleasure
    and favor.

Just plain gorgeous work... superb orchestration, harmonic
    work, melodic creation, and consistently innovative and
    satisfying writing and development... yet unfailingly moving
    and evocative.
    Thank you David! As always, I respect your feedback in the utmost. I'll do my best to keep it up for the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    This is definately a compilation to be proud of!! I listened and enjoyed very much!! As for the techical stuff...I agree with David!! Very nice work!

Steph, thanks for the kind words! Muchly appreciated~

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Excellent composition and very fine orchestration using GPO. Each movement was uniquely set apart from the other. Each extremely enjoyable.

One tiny thing, I am listening through headphone and I found the bass a little overwhelming in #1 & #4. But that aside it is a work to be proud of. I can't wait to hear the rest of it.
    Gary, many thanks Definately GPO is a great tool for not only orchestrating, but learning about it as well. I've been following the recent R-K posts and applying many of the things I've learned to what I'm currently working on, this included.

Regarding the bass: I mix on a pair of medium-size studio monitors, though I go through with headphones before checking off the mix. I didn't notice an extremely overwhelming bass level, but I suppose this could be a matter of taste I can say though that I didn't do any major tweaking to the EQ at all, so any large bass moments would be strictly in the realm of the samples and the velocities of the instruments. I'll give it another pass though and see if knowing this perspective makes a difference in hearing the levels~

Some lovely delicate orchestration there Leif, I know I would be tempted to dive in all guns blazing but it shows real confidence doing just what's required.
    Lovely pieces all and they hang together really nicely. Liked the pizz and piano in Outskirts II very much.
    I think the sampling is very well realised as well and doesn't seem to need to much adjustment to my ears....top quality in every way

Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by tboswell
    Some lovely delicate orchestration there Leif, I know I would be tempted to dive in all guns blazing but it shows real confidence doing just what's required.
    Lovely pieces all and they hang together really nicely. Liked the pizz and piano in Outskirts II very much.
    I think the sampling is very well realised as well and doesn't seem to need to much adjustment to my ears....top quality in every way
    Thankee Tom~ I know exactly what you mean about diving in all guns blazing. That was actually my first several reactions when I first got GPO last September. I wrote a bunch of huge blaring pieces that ultimately were satisfying at first but then grew rather stale as I realized that I needed to work my way into orchestration, not just start throwing lines at instruments.

Go Back to forum