• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Topic: Today I've got it, finally. But..... how?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Today I've got it, finally. But..... how?

    Today GPO arrived. First read the manual. Second started to install everything, including Virtual Midi cable (I already had installed this).

    System: XP Pro with 1.5 Gb, P4 2.6 Ghz, total HD cap. 320 Gb, of which two of them are just 60 Gb and connected by Raid 0 (boot, system and programs). Cubasis and Sonar 5.x Pro. Mozart Virtuoso as notation program with Midi playback and midi export capabilities. Audiophile 2496 soundcard, two Behringer active monitors, Roland JV1010, hardware mixerpanel (3 channels). And a bunch of other programs to assist the making of a decent Midi file and for audio I use Adobe Audition 2.0 (and also 1.5 because some of the features of 1.5. aren't in 2.0). Various reverb plugins..... etc.

    Of course I have some orchestral (ensemble) pieces ready for testing. The testing I did was with a clarinet quartet: 2 Bb clarinets, one alto Eb clarinet and a bass clarinet. In the Midi file crescendos and decrescendos are present (as a result of the notation program) including the dynamics pp,p,mf,f,ff etc... The crescendos and dynamics are translated into velocities, as far I can see with the little sequencer Cubasis.

    First question: I cannot hear any use of crescendos/dynamics (and the counterpart). It seems as if all is at the same level. How is the velocity translated and how is it used (or not)? In either case I really want the crescendos be present in the playback without modwheel actions or any other manual action during playback.

    Second question: For the switched solo parts I used two of the same clarinets (Bb-solo). Strangely enough the second clarinet sounds very soft though the velocities sometimes are at the same level as the first solo clarinet. [they interchange the melody].

    All parts are on different midi channels!! Midi channel 1 first Bb clarinet, Midi channel 2 second Bb clarinet, ch. 3 the Eb clarinet and ch 4 the bass clarinet.

    Later this evening, just continuing the testing I used a piano piece and attached the Steinway to it. To my surprise I had to playback all parts via one midi channel (though the midi file says that there are four channels, two for the treble and two for the bass). Normally with the Grand 2 of Steinberg this gives no problem, but with GPO Steinway it didn't work unless all was brought back to only one channel. And again, the velocities (crescendos and etc....) weren't interpreted the right way.

    So, it comes down to the implementation of the velocity, set in the inpu Midi file. How to deal with this?

    I think I will test GPO the next couple of days (maybe weeks) very intensively, to meet my standards (in fact to learn how to be on top of things).

    Greetings,

    Raymond - any spelling errors are purely my fault.

  2. #2

    Re: Today I've got it, finally. But..... how?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    First question: I cannot hear any use of crescendos/dynamics (and the counterpart). It seems as if all is at the same level. How is the velocity translated and how is it used (or not)? In either case I really want the crescendos be present in the playback without modwheel actions or any other manual action during playback.
    Velocity controls attack not volume. Modwheel (CC1) changes both volume and timbre. One way to fix this: if your notation program is a newer version of Finale (inherently) or Sibelius (with a plug-in I believe), both have the capability of reading dynamics and applying them to GPO. This means using CC1 instead of velocity.

    I'm no expert in manipulating midi files, but I would imagine there is a relatively easy way to convert the velocity data to CC1 data. In fact, I think there's an old tool floating around to GPO-ize your midi files. Someone else can probably point you to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Second question: For the switched solo parts I used two of the same clarinets (Bb-solo). Strangely enough the second clarinet sounds very soft though the velocities sometimes are at the same level as the first solo clarinet. [they interchange the melody].
    My assumption here is that the two channels are set at different levels for CC1 and/or CC7. Especially check your midi data at the start of the file for CC7 (master volume).

  3. #3

    Re: Today I've got it, finally. But..... how?

    Thanks for the reply.

    I found out that I had to "convert" my midi files with the help of that little program, one of the Garritan community member wrote.
    But within Cubasis it didn't work, at least I couldn't find out how.
    So I used Sonar and with success it converted all velocities to MOD wheel values.

    With the piano-roll editor I added some more MOD-wheel movements, added also some legato and other things. The result is rather satisfying.
    It was my first "learning project" .

    In the weekend I will start with another orchestral piece and little by little I work my way around GPO.

    By the way, that loudness question was solved automatically when using Sonar and ... see above.

    Raymond

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •