• Register
  • Help

Topic: Call me stupid...

Share/Bookmark

Call me stupid...

...but after two years I still can't get the hang of GPO. Maybe it's my crappy Roland keyboard with it's snap-back modulation lever, and lack of control knobs.... maybe it's just too complicated for me. All the default sounds are insanely quiet, and if I point the modulation lever up I get too darn loud and everything starts clipping.

[sigh]

I think I need to go back to simple sound modules with all the sounds just a patch-change away.

I feel so defeated..... I've been trying for a long time and the volunteer project I need to write music for is considering pulling me because I'm not producing.

.... anyone want to buy my GPO so I can go get a keyboard with some less-than-GPO-but-at-least-decent orchestral sounds?
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: Call me stupid...

Well, some suggestions.

Don't use the mod lever. Just enter using ordinary velocity. I am presuming your keyboard is velocity sensitive. I have no mod wheel or other control knobs, and don't miss them.

On each track, select the midi effects, gpo midi filter and map velocity to cc1. If you need the plug in for this, it is available at Garritan.com.

After you have input a few notes on each track, insert, before the first note, control 1, 50 or some arbitrary value.

On each slot of the player, jiggle the on screen mod wheel and leave it above mid point.

Then proceed with input as normal.

This will work if you use Sonar.

I don't remember what you may have said in the past about your sequencer, but you might describe your setup , and somebody else will give input if this does not work on your system.

I hate to see someone give up on such a nice system as GPO.

Richard

Nope, just check your PM's.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    ...but after two years I still can't get the hang of GPO. Maybe it's my crappy Roland keyboard with it's snap-back modulation lever, and lack of control knobs.... maybe it's just too complicated for me. All the default sounds are insanely quiet, and if I point the modulation lever up I get too darn loud and everything starts clipping.

[sigh]

I think I need to go back to simple sound modules with all the sounds just a patch-change away.

I feel so defeated..... I've been trying for a long time and the volunteer project I need to write music for is considering pulling me because I'm not producing.

.... anyone want to buy my GPO so I can go get a keyboard with some less-than-GPO-but-at-least-decent orchestral sounds?

Like said above if keyboard input is a problem, there are other ways to manipulate the sounds. Do you use a sequencer like sonar/logic/ect ect?? The piano roll and midi CC manipulation in sequencers can become one's best friend if a keyboard is not available. Don't give up yet. Again as said above, could you give an idea of the setup(if you use a sequencer ect)?? Maybe more helpfull suggestions can be offered if people know more about the setup.

I do not have the greatest keyboard in the world and infact I have to more often then not use the piano roll in Sonar to get things to do what I want. Whether it is simple redraw of mod wheel(mine tracks horribly) or velocities ect.
    Robert Davis

The key is not to have your Kontakt player instruments volume levels all the way full! This will cause the distortion... turn all of them down a bit.

One annoying thing I have.. and perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly, is that each time I open my project I must continually reset the darn modulation wheel for each instrument within the kontakt player ( slide each one back up).... otherwise no sound!..this could be the cause for your low levels too.

So basically, In Kontakt: load an instrument, slide the modulation wheel up, then adjust the volume dial (near full)

hoped this helped..

~Jeff

Make sure you don't have CC7/CC10 option enabled as this may skew your volume levels. Many sequencers like Sonar will default to 100 for CC7 which is way too loud. The default level is approximately 55-60 for CC7 depending on the sound.

Which Roland keyboard do you use? I use a Roland XP-30 which has a few programmable sliders. One is programmed as CC1 (modulation) so I don't have to use the lever for modulation.

Make sure you put in CC1 levels at the beginning of each track of your sequencer to set your initial levels. I have basic templates that for most of the different styles of music I do and the levels are set in each template.

Read the manual carefully! This is a must with GPO.

Jim

Seems my biggest problem is this stupid old MIDI controller of mine. The joystick snap-back-to-zero type. So it's all or nothing that way.
    Or I have to reset the modulation wheel in the GPO software every time I load it (PITA!)

Maybe it's also because I'm stuck using the bundled Cubasis VST? I don't have fancier software - it's all old MIDI stuff with no digital support. (I've been a module guy a long, long time.... change is difficult and with my crazy work/family schedule, I don't have time to learn so much stuff.)

A new MIDI controller (fairly affordable at least) may do the trick....
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

BlueMax, check your PM.
    Richard Galbraith

Go Back to forum