• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I want my GPO Violins to have a warmer sound

Share/Bookmark

I want my GPO Violins to have a warmer sound

Hello,

everything is ok, but ...

I write a lot of for string quartettes were I use from the notation folder the solo violins (Guarneri, Strad etc.). But for my ears the sound very "sharp" . I am missing the warm resonances from the body of the instrument or a full tone. So they are also not in balance with the violas. It seems that they would be played near the bridge.

Is there a way to get a warmer sound also in the middle range of the playable spectrum?

Sorry I couldnt express it more clearly but if wanted, I can post a mp3.

Hajo
    ---
    ... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn

Re: I want my GPO Violins to have a warmer sound

The time honoured way to warm up a sound is to tickle with the EQ setting on your player. But short of that, I find that using the Ambiance Recital Hall 2 setting makes the tone blossom without overdoing it. You are right, though, the solo strings have a distance to go. That is one of the reasons why what GPOA contains - or does not contain - is a subject of much interested speculation.

Hi,

if you use the X-Folder version you can adjust the brightness of each instrument in the Kontakt player.

Also I prefer the Gagliano KS Solo violin for being less sharp. To cut through an orchestra it would be the Stradivari but for chamber music the Gagliano mixes better.

Hannes

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Hi,

if you use the X-Folder version you can adjust the brightness of each instrument in the Kontakt player.

Also I prefer the Gagliano KS Solo violin for being less sharp. To cut through an orchestra it would be the Stradivari but for chamber music the Gagliano mixes better.

Hannes
    I will try to use the X-Folder. I hope it works with Finale.
    I used to take the Gagliano as second violin. Perhaps I try to switch and make some adjustments to the volume.

What I found out is also that when the Strad is played alone there seem to be more basic harmonics available. The "sharp" effekt is more audible when played in the chamber environment.

Thanks anyway for the advice

Hajo
    ---

Hmm ... what exactly do you mean by "basic harmonics"?

Hannes

Off-topic question:

Were the x-folder versions removed from the most current version of GPO?

Thanks!

Hmm ... what exactly do you mean by "basic harmonics"?

Hannes
    When you play a tone on an instrument you will not only get the tone you play but also the harmonics above the note and below the note. Thats what I meant. These harmonic vibrations come from the other strings, the body etc. They form part of the tone which you hear and when these parts are missing especially the harmonics below your note part of the characteristics of the instruments or your playing is missing.

Hajo
    ---

Hajo,

OK so you mean what I know as subharmonics.

I suppose it is a matter of taste, but there is nothing wrong with the sound of the Gagliano KS for me. For examples listen here:

http://www.frischat.com/compose/Hann..._00010_mp3.mp3
    http://www.frischat.com/compose/Hann..._C_04_2006.MP3

tfishbein82: You can download the x-folder samples here:
    http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

Look for "X-custom optional folders". I would like to encourage the use of them very much. If there are any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Hannes

Hannes,

I suppose it is a matter of taste, but there is nothing wrong with the sound of the Gagliano KS for me.

Hannes
    sure it may be a matter of taste, but I thought that I was configuring something wrong . (And after hearing your music, I´m sure I made something wrong.)

My kind of role model was http://www.roxele.de/trans/aria-2.mp3 the Trio Echnaton and that is http://www.roxele.de/trans/aria-1.mp3 GPO with the Strad and the Gagliano.

But next I will try the x-Folders.

Thanks Hajo
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Off-topic question:

Were the x-folder versions removed from the most current version of GPO?

Thanks!
    The X-Custom folder has always been just an optional download - never included with the shipping product.

Tom

Go Back to forum