• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New to the Forum

Pacific Northwest

New to the Forum

Hi, I am new to this forum, and it seemed good to post an introduction first.

First, I freely admit to being an amateur composer. My main interests are church related, especially short preludes, offertories, postludes, and the like, for small ensembles, along with hymn writing, and the very occasional worship chorus. I also enjoy experimenting with larger forms.

My main performing instruments include double-bass (classical – I enjoy jazz, but do not think in those terms), and mountain dulcimer (no, this is not an instrument made out of soil and rocks with 5,000 foot strings stretching from the summit down to the base ). I play just enough cello and piano to be very dangerous on both. Of particular excitement (and cause for some trepidation), I am currently preparing to give my first full solo double-bass recital in over 25 years.

I had purchased GOS from Gary over 2½ years ago, but had failed to do sufficient homework (my bad) regarding computer systems, my old systems blew apart, and I ended up returning to my old set-up consisting strictly of a PIII running Finale 2002.

I am hoping to finally be able to purchase a new computer (from a company that specializes in DAWs) within a couple of months along with GPO. I vividly remember my two or three conversations with Gary, and can only echo the community’s appreciation of him. One of the challenges I face is that I am legally blind, and Gary was most helpful (side note: I have learned through sight loss just how much there is to be thankful and grateful for, and humor about my situation is appreciated.).

After following the boards as a guest for awhile, it is high time to finally join. The open, friendly, humorous, and helpful attitude of the forum members has been a real encouragement (and undoubtedly a reflection of Gary, himself).

Re: New to the Forum

Welcome, Jim!
    This is for sure a friendly forum...
    You won't regret signin' in!

Hello Jim!

I'm not a very active member... I hope to be more active in the future . But I enter in this forum on a daily basis to read posts, and I assure you this is the best place to learn about music, composition, orchestration, share opinions and get constructive feedback from the members.

As Engson has said, you won't regret.

Wellcome again Jim!

Welcome to the forums Jim. You'll find people here friendly, supportive and helpful.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi Jim:

Welcome to the Forum. We have a great family of musicians here and a great leader to keep us in tow.

We hope to hear some of your music as soon as you can get up and running. You will find nothing but happiness here and people who are willing to really help when the need arises.

Again, welcome to the family........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Orcas Island

A warm welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us and I hope you will benefit as I am sure we will benefit from your presence.

There are several people here who are visually impaired. And we are committed to helping the visually impaired and we're working with blind musicians to make it easier to make music.

All the best with your solo double-bass recital and let us know how it goes. We will spare you the double-bass jokes for the time being. Your 5,000 mountain dulcimer certainly is an interesting concept.

Looking forward to your participation and thanks for deciding to become a part of this commmunity.

Gary Garritan

Hi Jim
    Welcome to the forum! You won't find a nicer, more supportive group on the net! I know that we all look forward to getting to know you!!
    Take Care,

Welcome to the forum Jim! I think you'll love it here.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Welcome Jim!

Just as a word of warning, watch out for DPDAN, etLux, Styxx, SeanHannifin...and anyone else who frequents the chat. If you don't know why, there is a chat tomorrow at 4 PM EST.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Pacific Northwest

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

We will spare you the double-bass jokes for the time being.

Gary Garritan[/quote]

Ok, , I guess the best defense is a good offense (and some do find the double-bass offensive ), so I will start the jokes myself... and then a true story.

The following takes place on a tropical island:

A missionary has been there for several weeks, but always hearing drums in the background, is beginning to get annoyed. He walks up to a native and asks, "Why are the drums always playing?"

Native (with scared look), "No, no, drums HAVE to play, must have drums."
    Native then runs off in a panic.

Missionary goes up to another native, "I'm confused, why do the drums always have to play?"

Native #2 (with look of terror), "Drums MUST play, must play, can NEVER stop."
    Native #2 sprints away as top speed.

Missionary (really wondering what is going on, corners native so that he cannot escape, and asks), "WHY do the drums always have to play?"

Native #3 (with hang-dog expression, knowing he is trapped), "Drums have to play!!!"

Missionary: "Why?"

Native #3, "No drums, bass solo."

True story: It was clear from early on that Gary Karr was going to be an incredible double-bass solo artist. But, in his college days he was part of a typical college baroque ensemble, and as is so often the case, the director kept saying, "The bass is too loud." Gary decided to "play" the entire concert keeping the bow hair an inch or so above the strings, while fingering and bowing all the notes. The director came up to him after the concert and complimented him on his excellent playing.

Go Back to forum