• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Our Song of Victory" by Lawrence Keith Holder.

Share/Bookmark

"Our Song of Victory" by Lawrence Keith Holder.

Lawrence Keith Holder.sent in his latest work called: "Our Song of Victory"

Here is the link:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/lh-Victory_orch_GPO.mp3

This beautiful and well orchestrated song was done in Finale. The balance used was: woodwinds pan hard left, brass pan hard right, all else in the middle; strings volume lowered, flute volume raised.

Larry's website is at: larryholdermusic.org if you want to find out more.

Thanks Larry for sending this in.

Gary Garritan

Re: "Our Song of Victory" by Lawrence Keith Holder.

Gary:

"This Page Cannot Be Displayed" as is........Me or the link?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Sorry about that Jack. Please try now.

Gary

Thanks Gary. It is working well now......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Lawrence:

Good theme and orchestration. The ensemble moves along well with the piano, but it is a little hard to detect the musical lines sometimes; i.e. what the instruments are individually playing.

If you listen to each part individually, you may find you need to vary the dynamics a little or use more or less mod wheel for CC1 data.

With a little "nit-picking," you have a great piece.

I haven't heard your music before, so let me add my welcome to you to this Forum. Please give us more......

Jack

Jack, thanks for the input and encouragement. This is my first try at an orchestration with Finale 2006; I know there is much more to learn. The composition is actually the instrumental background for a choral anthem, although it stands on its own fairly well. Yes, I need to add more dynamics throughout the piece... I want to thank Gary Garritan for making it possible for musicians on a budget to be able to realistically hear our orchestrations. Way beyond the best of MIDI.

Larry:

We are all here to "learn." Many musicians that belong to this Forum didn't have any experience with "audio and sampling instruments" before Gary's libraries came out. People with many years of orchestration and composition skills were then able to use these samples to "create" a near-live performance of their works. It takes time and patience, but we are learning new things everyday.

What I like most about this list is that people share ideas and tips so that every individual can try to attain his best results with the libraries.

Again, welcome and be encouraged that you will be sounding better as every day passes.

Jack

Nice thematic work in this, and both fine orchestration
    and use of line and counterline. Well done!

I'd suggest a little more attention to phrasing and articulation,
    and as Jack said -- this would really shine if you got to work
    on the dynamics.

As you said this is your first time out with Finale on something
    like this -- turn on Human Playback and get absolutely
    neurotic about notating every single entry, dynamically. And
    hairpin like crazy. Finale did not take Musicianship 101, so
    you have to tell it... everything.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum