• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need some Mac advice

Share/Bookmark

Need some Mac advice

I"m considering moving from PC to Mac so I can upgrade to the latest version of Logic. I'll want to run one or two instances of RMX, a couple loaded instances of EWQLSO Gold or Plat, maybe Real Guitar and a few other plug-ins like Stormdrum, etc.

I'm looking at a pretty good buy on a Dual G5 2.0 ghz, 2.5 gig ram. What kind of perfermance can I expect to get on that machine as opposed to a Dual 2.5 ghz?

Would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Re: Need some Mac advice

The G5 2.5 Ghz is a great machine. Far more performance = more plugins.
    2.5 GB Ram is not enough. Get at least 4.0 GB.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

AFAIK Logic doesnt utilize the additional 2 processors in the quad so unless you are planning to use some of your plugins as standalones and connect them via rewire or have the additional processors for Logic plugs as a virtual node theres little advantage of getting the quad compared to the dual processor macs.
    More RAM is always a good idea.
    As Chris said-4 GB is the ideal number.
    i have a 2 ghz dual G5 and the performance is pretty descent. I can run complex anrrangements with 3 RMX (8 parts each) Trilogy, 2 Atmospheres and a couple of more plugs with no problems. I do run at 80-90% though most of the time.

Hans

In my opinion, I would at least consider holding out for a minute. The new Mac that will replace the G5s is going to tear the roof of the place.

I know "stay away from rev A computers" etc... However, it should help drive G5 prices down when they announce them in August (I think the 8th?) in case you do settle on a G5.

Also, maybe there won't be any total showstoppers with this new model in which case as I stated previously it should friggin' roar.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2795&p=18

Hang on my kittens, it should be a fun ride.

Of course all my blabber could mean nothing if you do need a new Mac right away.

By the way, I have a Dual 2.7 with 4.5 Gig of Ram and (for me personally) I am always wishing I had more power.

Quote Originally Posted by football
    Hang on my kittens, it should be a fun ride.
    But remember that it's still going to be quite awhile before Intel macs offer the same music software capabilities that current G5s do.

G5s just work great right now....very stable and lots of good choices available.

I have to agree with Eric - my previous two Macs - a G3 and G4 - both for some reason were rather unstable with the app (DP) and plugs/VSTis, etc. that I typically run - B4, JABB, EWQLSO, GPO, Atmosphere, RMX, Stormdrum, Waves Gold etc. - the usual Kon-fuzing Namz sample engine players. The G5 is as solid as any Mac I've ever used since the SE-30 and Performer.

Of course I'd love more power and more speed, but so far I have hit very few real walls, even when pushing the processor pretty hard - except for JABB, which works perfectly but needs more resources for a full big band in real time than 4G and 2.7G can offer. Still, that's what Freeze Tracks is for. I'm in no hurry to go Macintel; if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    But remember that it's still going to be quite awhile before Intel macs offer the same music software capabilities that current G5s do.

G5s just work great right now....very stable and lots of good choices available.
    It's also worth noting that manufacturers will not sustain support and upgrades for three platforms. Writing upgrades for obselete hardware is not cost effective. Don't be surprised to see the G5's dropped from major support in just a couple of years.

You can take a chance, but may end up with a similar sudden drop off of support of your lovely computer before it really needs replacing, just like you faced with Logic on the PC platform.

I think its a bad time to buy a Mac unless you're really made of money, but I also think it will be worth the wait to buy a G5 replacement whenever they are released.

Apple renew their hardware with alarming regularity. Getting bugs out of a new design is always going to be a challenge, but I'd say once the G5 replacements are out, Apple will have been using Intel chips long enough to get it as right as they ever have before.

R.

How big is the price difference between the 2.0 and 2.5? If the money is not a big issue then by all means get the 2.5. If it is, buy the cheaper machine to get you into the game knowing that in 2 years from now when the Intel Macs are well established and all the software is compatible that this machine will probably be sold, used as a node, or given to someone else.

I just finished a film and a DVD project using my 2.0. It performs beautifully.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    It's also worth noting that manufacturers will not sustain support and upgrades for three platforms. Writing upgrades for obselete hardware is not cost effective. Don't be surprised to see the G5's dropped from major support in just a couple of years.

You can take a chance, but may end up with a similar sudden drop off of support of your lovely computer before it really needs replacing, just like you faced with Logic on the PC platform.

I think its a bad time to buy a Mac unless you're really made of money, but I also think it will be worth the wait to buy a G5 replacement whenever they are released.

Apple renew their hardware with alarming regularity. Getting bugs out of a new design is always going to be a challenge, but I'd say once the G5 replacements are out, Apple will have been using Intel chips long enough to get it as right as they ever have before.

R.
    Future applications will probably be Universal for at least the next five to ten years depending on the developer's market. Universal allows the application to run on the G3-G4-G5 chip or Intel.

Here's one quote from an Apple info page.

Native Instruments

“All future Native Instruments products will include Universal versions that will take full advantage of the new Intel-based Mac platform while maintaining compatibility with PowerPC-based Macs.”

- Daniel Haver, CEO, Native Instruments

Another thing to consider is the PCI bus. If you are planning to run UAD-1 card(s), this becomes an issue. See their website for recommendations and models to avoid. I believe this would rule out all quads.
    JP

Go Back to forum