• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need Composer for horror short film

Share/Bookmark

Need Composer for horror short film

I am directing a horror short film for the Horrorfest online competition at dvxuser.com. The film is still in pre-production and looking to shoot in the 3rd week of August, but I'd like to attach a composer on as soon as possible since I know that a score is something that should most definitly not be rushed at the end. There will be about a 3 week window to get the score finished, which I know is still not a lot of time, but for a 5 minute film with a strict deadline, its all I can afford and I believe its doable.

The film is about a serial killer who hunts down young people, captures them, and sells their organs at a high price to the needy who are waiting for a transplant. It should be a really fun project and a great opportunity to just go all out with the score.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any monetary compensation. All cast/crew are working on a deffered basis. The only things I can offer are credit, a copy of the final film, and, most importantly, experience. This is why I am here to call out to all those who are new to the field and would like to get their feet wet. Of course, I'd still like you to know what you are doing because a bad score is worse than no score! So, please contact me if you are interested with links to previous works and any questions you may have.

THANKS,
    Noah
    noah.posnick@nyu.edu

Re: Need Composer for horror short film

Oh, Geezz Noah you should have no problem with finding a suitable composer here!
    Good luck and after the film is finished I hope you can post a snippet and clip of the results.
    Styxx

Hey Noah,

Ironically, I am working on a horror film's score right now. I have never really done a score before, but am looking for any practice I can get. Let me know if I can write anything for your film.

As an example, here is one of the ideas I had for my current project... the main theme for a film about a succubus and her victims. The theme is supposed to show the insanity of the victim...

and Death- Main theme, idea 6

Even if I am not right for your film, any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Hi Noah,
    Styxx is right...you should have no trouble finding a composer here. I did some work for Hero Fest and had an extremely short amount of time to do it in. Three weeks sounds doable like you said. Anyway, I may not be available for this fest, but wanted to let you know that there's plenty of talented composers here that would love to help you out.
    Steph

oh yeah, here's a few links

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...hp?userid=7102

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=46340

Quote Originally Posted by npoz1
    The film is about a serial killer who hunts down young people, captures them, and sells their organs at a high price to the needy who are waiting for a transplant. It should be a really fun project
    Hmm, yeah... sounds like a fun subject.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Heya, Noah.

Sounds like a fun project. I'm currently working on a series of four horror/suspence shorts, that are connected, yet independent... (a long story!) The first was featured in the 2006 Bermuda International Film Festival.

Please check out my website for demos and feel free to get in touch anytime.

Cheers!
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Noah,

You certainly have come to the right place. There are excellent composers here who can help you. We have had a few Halloween Spooky Music contests and the results were frighteningly good!

Good luck with the film and I hope you share with us how the project progresses.

Gary Garritan

Noah,

Here's a tip: In addition to finding somebody with a good orchestral set, like GPO, you might seek somebody who owns BelaDMedia's Diva and knows how to use it. Or better yet, somebody who can record a live female soloist who is classically trained.

The combination of solo female voice and music box is especially haunting.

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I've been checking my emails and private messages, but not the thread - I guess I thought I'd get an email saying someone has responded. Anyway, to my surprise I've had plenty of responses. Unfortunately, I think we've already decided to go with one composer. I hope I didn't make the decision to quickly. Good to know, though, that there is a wealth of ambitious talent out there for future projects.

HOWEVER, we still need a talented sound designer - someone to do all the foley, adr (if any), and mixing. We need someone to really make those stabs and slashes sound believable. I know this board is more geared to composing, but I figured there may be someone who's interested. So, if you are, indeed, interested, please send me an email: noah.posnick@nyu.edu

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by npoz1
    Thanks for all the replies and tips. I've been checking my emails and private messages, but not the thread - I guess I thought I'd get an email saying someone has responded. Anyway, to my surprise I've had plenty of responses. Unfortunately, I think we've already decided to go with one composer. I hope I didn't make the decision to quickly. Good to know, though, that there is a wealth of ambitious talent out there for future projects.

HOWEVER, we still need a talented sound designer - someone to do all the foley, adr (if any), and mixing. We need someone to really make those stabs and slashes sound believable. I know this board is more geared to composing, but I figured there may be someone who's interested. So, if you are, indeed, interested, please send me an email: noah.posnick@nyu.edu

Thanks again!
    Noah, if you don't get many replies here for post work, may i suggest you try the Nuendo forum?
    Some talented people over there too.

http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/

Good Luck.

Alex.

Go Back to forum