• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is any one in to Weight Training ?

Share/Bookmark

Closed Topic

Closed Topic

Re: Is any one in to Weight Training ?

Hey. I work out in my teeny garage on a free weight set and foldable bench I bought for myself 5 years ago. I lift weights 4 days a week. Monday and Thursday are for my lower body (from abs down) while Tuesday and Friday are for my upper body. I then do cardio (walking mostly) on the weekend. I would probably look better if I ate right (but I'm Italian and that's going to be near impossible ) Plus when I'm in college it is much more difficult to find time to work out, so It's really a summer thing for me.

I think it's a great thing to do though. You just feel better physically, and can improve mental health if you are devoted enough.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Best of luck,

- Brian

Well, not now, but around 50 years ago, I was quite the weight training enthusiast, and bicylist and swimmer. I reached a point where I appeared on a program with a person who was Olympic Champion, a national champion, and a few others. My demo was feats of strength. I think that in the long run, it has contributed to my general good health. I have always had tremendous endurance. My only problem is that the arthritis is sometimes miserable, but that began when I was 15 or so, and can't be blamed on the arthritis. A fringe benefit was that I was sought after for other than musical skills.

My most important comment on the subject: don't over do it! A musician needs muscles that are fluid, and flexible. Weight training can quickly give you nice hard muscles, feels good, looks good. It is very easy to damage your musical skills very quickly.

So, if you are interested, go for it, but with caution.

As an aside, my weight lifting was as unorthodox as my music, but that is to be expected, I think.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland

My most important comment on the subject: don't over do it! A musician needs muscles that are fluid, and flexible. Weight training can quickly give you nice hard muscles, feels good, looks good. It is very easy to damage your musical skills very quickly.
    Good way to keep flexability can be found in various forms. Yoga is most common. Stretching is a must as if you do not your flexability diminishes. Also stretching is very important if you use wieghts as the "bulk" added tends to "tighten" up. You can keep the flexability/agility as long as you have a really good stretch routine.

I do both wieght and cardio(jogging mostly for that). But I consider the yoga stretches saviours in keeping very flexable . I have not seen any decline in music play ability from wieghts, however it is most likely due to the intense stretching to keep from "cramping up" and just becoming bulky with the inability to move with anything resembling agility lol.
    Robert Davis

I used to lift alot, espically my senoir year in high school, but then I hurt myself playing hockey. And ever since whenever I've tried to get back into lifting I keep hurting myself again (usually playing hockey... but it's more just an excuse I use cause I'm lazy...) but this fall I'm going to start working out again.. I promise...
    Tim

The streaching exercises that are for Tai Ji Quan, Tai Quan do, and Kick Boxing or Savate are very good, that's what I do, and for females those plus the ones the gymnastics girls do are very good for your health and to stay fit, well toned longer flexable muscles with great abs, rather than the bulk of weightlifters. When I do lift I only use dumbells. I have neglected a lot in this past year, but going to get back because you feel so much healther and have energy to spare for anything you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile
    Good way to keep flexability can be found in various forms. Yoga is most common. Stretching is a must as if you do not your flexability diminishes. Also stretching is very important if you use wieghts as the "bulk" added tends to "tighten" up. You can keep the flexability/agility as long as you have a really good stretch routine.

I do both wieght and cardio(jogging mostly for that). But I consider the yoga stretches saviours in keeping very flexable . I have not seen any decline in music play ability from wieghts, however it is most likely due to the intense stretching to keep from "cramping up" and just becoming bulky with the inability to move with anything resembling agility lol.
    I'm too skinny to have ever risked becoming too bulky. I'm thinking about starting jogging. What distance should a person start with who hasn't been runniing in about 15 years (which i did when I used to play a lot of basketball)? I'm in my late 40s but still pretty much feel like i'm about 30.

I lift a bit, specifically to increase my strength and endurance for swimming. I do lots of reps with fairly light weights, I focus on specific muscles used in the four racing strokes, and I cycle three exercises at a time so I can keep moving and get some aerobic benefit. For instance, I might do a set of inclined bench presses, then a set of rowing, then a set of leg lifts, then back to the incline bench. There's no need to rest for muscle recovery between sets that way.

But swimming is the real focus. I'm on a very competitive Masters team. In fact, last week at the State Games of Oregon our relay team set a seven-state zone record in the 800m mixed freestyle event in a long course (50m) pool. (3rd from the last item here.)

Our Grass Valley Masters swim team kicks rump!

When I do use free weights I do minimal reps with maximum weight,
    or maybe better put, as much weight as I can tollerate for as many reps as I can do. I'm getting older now, 55, and my joints (wrists) tend to be sensitive to stress sometimes so it's a careful balance.
    I'm naturally very thin and have been trying to bulk up a bit.
    I get some more definition but it seems I'll never gain any serious muscle mass unless I took this on as an every day for a few hours thing.
    Unfortunately my keyboard and music seem to always distract me. :-)

I lift a cigarette to my lips quite often throughout the course of a day. Does this count?

Go Back to forum