• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Is Giga losing ground?

Question Is Giga losing ground?

Hey folks!

I have been exploring the sample library market. I've seen lots of new libraries and instruments (such as the Garritan line) based on the Kontakt I/II engines and a predominance of stuff for Kontakt, Halion and EXS24. I'm seeing less new stuff for Giga; and a lot of the Giga libraries that are availalble are the older Giga 2 or Giga 2.5 libaries in 16 bit format. There doesn't seem to be much 24 bit Giga 3 stuff on the market -- at least where I'm looking.

I know GVI is on the verge of release, and that may change some of this. For example, I know that it's not really practical to make a Giga engine-based VSTi (like the Garritan line) right now. With GVI that will probably be very different.

However, I wonder how much of this has to do with the Giga instrument editor environment. I've heard complaints from at least one developer; and the Editor GUI seems a bit outdated and convoluted to me. There is a good chance that I will get into creating my own libraries soon. I've got just about everything I need to do so. If I'm going to spend a lot of time/effort with this, it makes sense to work in an up-to-date and powerful editing environment.

I've looked at stuff from Sampletekk, Wizoo, Post Musical Instruments, Sonic Implants, Bolder, the lineup of products at EastWest, and many other places. There always seems to be more stuff and newer formats for the other three samplers I mentioned. Am I just missing the latest Giga libraries?? Or are other samplers getting a lot more development attention than Giga now? I've avoided Kontakt (except for the special version packaged with GPO) due to user-reported bugs and customer "no-service" issues. I'd like to think that Giga still has competitive libraries & developers.

...perhaps this is all my imagination.

Los Angeles

Re: Is Giga losing ground?

Giga is still very handy because there is such a huge library for it already. However you are correct that most new libraries have they're own player hence Giga is not being supported now nearly as much, which does not bode well for the future. The plugin will help it survive since it will finally be able to play along side other VST instruments in any number of host programs.
    Dave Connor www.daveconnor.net

Hey Dave. Thanks for your opinion. Till you replied, I thought I'd won the lottery for "Most Poorly Received GigaStudio Forum Question Ever".

I was just reading about Kontakt on the Sonar forum...reminding myself of why I didn't buy that product in the first place... I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

It's too bad that Tascam isn't planning to include a new GUI editor with GVI. It sounds like even the standard Giga Editor won't be included. I wonder how they plan to encourage and aid library developers?? They are trying to sell a sampler -- you'd think they would WANT folks to develop sample libraries. Rather, it seems that they are discouraging people from doing their own development. I don't get it.

I think after GVI we'll be able to see how this will all shake out better. There are so many Giga libraries that sound so good already, I'm not too worried about it. I'm simplifying my software arsenal, and Gigastudio is helping me do that. For a different view.

Well that's good to hear. I'm a little discouraged trying to find mid-range libraries for Giga. It seems like there are small single-instrument samples for $25-50 and really big expensive libraries ($400+) with not a lot of stuff in between. There seems to be a broader range of mid-range but high quality stuff in other formats. I'm looking mainly at electric piano/organ, acoustic (classical guitar) and vocal samples.

I hesitate to buy a ton of single instruments because it's harder to keep track of everything piecemeal. But I'm not in a position right now to buy 5 or 6 monster libraries to fill in the holes.

Perhaps with GVI, some current developers will gravitate back towards this format. Giga is pretty stable for me, even in ReWire mode with Sonar on the same machine. So I have high hopes that GVI will be ultra stable as a VSTi.

Kontakt 2 has had major bug issues; Halion is a turn-off to folks like myself who don't like Steinberg's copy-protection and lack of service; as you said, Giga already has great (albeit older) libraries. Some Giga Editor GUI updates and full-featured VSTi automation would put GVI in a REALLY great position.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite5ths
    I've avoided Kontakt (except for the special version packaged with GPO) due to user-reported bugs and customer "no-service" issues. I'd like to think that Giga still has competitive libraries & developers.

...perhaps this is all my imagination.
    No sampler is bug free.

Giga is definitely losing ground from developers who can't make as good a profit because their library is not tied in with a player or worried they'll see their libraries put on bit torrents.

I've thought of getting Kontakt because it's auhtorization is the least troublesome. Plus it imports more sample formats than Giga. It's recommended to have a seperate machine for Gigastudio. That's not good for a hobbyist.

Still in many ways Gigastudio has a lot of other advantages over Kontakt and HALion. I would think that the workflow is superior since you don't have load 8 instances of Gigastudio.

I'd bet that in professional media production Giga is still on top.

The problem with having 100% marketshare (as Giga did in the early days) is that there's nowhere to go but down.

Certainly Giga has less marketshare than they did in the pre Kontakt days. But hopefully the PC audio field is growing fast enough that everybody's sales are increasing. You make money on sales, not marketshare.

BTW, I work for Sharp. In the early days (not so many years ago) we had near 100% of the LCD-TV market. We pretty much invented the category. These days our share is quite a bit lower, but our overall volume is much, much larger than it was before. We keep adding capacity, and we have no problem selling everything we can produce.

I'll take volume over marketshare any day.

Anyway, GVI will almost certainly increase Giga's marketshare. And this is just the first version. I would imagine that the next version of Giga and the sister version of GVI will continue to up the ante.

Then again, the rest of the sampler companies aren't sitting still either. Whatever the situation today, it will be different tomorrow...

Good points...

I'm more or less interested in Giga maintaining the breadth and quality of its library options, including new ones. It's perfectly OK with me if other samplers have their own versions of the same libraries or competing offerings. I just don't want to get stuck with a limited set of library options and/or sound types. The more developers there are working to create Giga libraries, the more variety and creativity there will be. That's always a plus -- regardless of Giga's overall marketshare. I think that divided marketshare is a big plus....unless the various samplers start specializing in certain sounds/libraries due to developer preferences. If that happens, then I've got to buy 3 or 4 or MORE samplers to get the sounds I need. That would be a big EXPENSIVE pain.

I can't see any way to draw developers except to make the editor better and create a more compatible/desireable playback engine (i.e. exactly what Tascam is doing in GVI). The playback end is about to be solved...so let's get the editor on the stick next. Make the sample developers (and 'developers' on the fence -- like me) drool.

P.S. I never actually drool.

I don't think GVI needs an editor. Any serious developer will test their lib on both GVI and GS3, so you'd need to buy both anyway.

As to improved editing functions, that would be a job for GS-next. Hopefully, it will be released along with GVI-next.

I think they're doing exactly the right thing with GVI - making it work with the existing feature set (as far as I know). That way, it will work with the existing libs, and the development team can focus the scope.

Who knows what the next gen will bring. Hopefully, it will be hot on the heels of Vista, bringing us into the 64-bit domain.

Vista......oh boy. That one is gonna be fun.

If it takes as long for Vista to stabilize as it did XP, I won't be using it for another several years.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast