• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Comments on Midiman's Audiophile 2496??

Share/Bookmark

Comments on Midiman\'s Audiophile 2496??

Hello to everyone!!

I\'m a new user of the GigaStudio 160, and after reading several of the postings in this forum, I\'m not so sure if I should consider myself blessed.. or cursed! LoL. I guess time will tell.

Anyways... I found out also by reading some of the postings, that those of us that have the SoundBLasterLive card will only get one set of outputs. Alas, I\'m considering purchasing GSIF compatible card so that I can take advantage of the additional DSP features. Currently, I\'m considering getting the AUDIOPHILE 2496 card from MIDIMAN, so I was wondering, what anyone has to say about this card. Some of the postings have indicated that they have no problem with it, but I was wondering if anyone else would comment on this. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

------------------
    [ Joscci ]
    joscci76@aol.com

Re: Comments on Midiman\'s Audiophile 2496??

Josci,

Just keep in mind that few people who are working smoothly would bother to visit these forums - they\'re a pretty silent group on the whole. It\'s usually those of us who have a problem or are trying to squeeze a little more out of their setup who post questions and frustrations.

I have an Audiophile 2496 and I\'m getting good GigaStudio performance with it. However I have had some problems using it with Cakewalk.

Chadwick and Jamieh, thanks for the reply. Yeah as for me, I (as of yet), haven\'t had any trouble with GigaStudio160... I read that some folks were having trouble specially with the SoundBlaster. I have a SoundBlasterLive card and as far as I can tell, everything is working good. I just need to get those additional Outputs to take advantage of the the software\'s full potential. For some reason though, the maximum number of voices only reaches about 70 peak, but that\'s not something I\'m concerned about at this very moment. I just want to get a GSIF compatible soundcard and get started with the fun stuff.. lol.

My System:
    ----------
    -Gateway 400 Mhz PII w/ MMX, Approx. 200MB SDRAM Memory.
    -SoundBlasterLive Platinum (Not 5.1).
    -3DFX Vodoo II Video Card w/ ATI Video Accelerator. (Don\'t ask me why I have two.. lol).
    -10GB IDE Drive (I think it\'s ATA-33).
    -10GB Secondary SCSI Drive. (I think it\'s IBM.)
    -Windows98 (Don\'t think it\'s Second Edition).
    -SoundForge XP 4.0, N-Track Studio... and my sequencer... well I like to keep it simple so I\'m currently using Voyetra\'s DigitalOrchestrator Plus, and it seems to work just fine.

Just want to share what I have so that maybe I can help someone else. : )

Jamieh, what kind of problems are you having with your Audiophile, and Cakewalk... are they problem(s) that seriously inhibit the use of the program.. or something that you can sort-of-kinda-ignore-thingy??

------------------
    [ Joscci ]
    joscci76@aol.com

Hi

I am using the Audiophile with Giga + Cake with no problems at all. My previous GINA20 caused all sorts of grief but since I swapped it for the Audiophile I haven\'t had a problem (no lockups, freezes, dropouts).

My average song comes in at 20 20Bit/48K tracks, 10 Giga patches (average 80 notes polyphony).

Sound from the Audiophile is excellent - so much better than Gina20. It has good drivers and a versatile control panel. Shame about the phono sockets but for £170 that is being really picky.

System:-
    Win98SE (no tweaks at all - I found they do more harm)
    Abit BE6-II 566@850 / 386Mb RAM
    4 x 20GB 7200rpm Maxtor Drives (Programs, Audio, Gigs and backups respectively)
    Audiophile
    ATI Rage Fury
    Cakewalk v9.03
    Gigastudio (latest version)

I have no other programs on the machine - just use it for audio and it screams.

Hope this helps.

Brian.

> I just need to get those additional Outputs to take advantage
    > of the software\'s full potential

I’m not sure what your expectation is here. The additional outputs are spdf.

The sound quality is definitely better. On the other hand, the SBLive shares its outputs with multiple applications without complaint.

Also note that the Audiophile has no connector for the CD-ROM drive.

Audiophile sounds better than Gina20? Wauw... and it\'s using RCA connections, not jack... odd.

Hi Brian !

How have You configured Your Audiophile and Cakewalk to have the Gigastudio running in Cake ?
    I can´t seem to have both the Cakes wavs and Gigas samples to play simultaneously. If I use Audiophiles drivers in Giga I hear only the Gigas samples - the wav tracks are then yellow as are the midi tracks and in track properties there is no Audiophile wav out as an option.
    I have also SBlive in my pc. If I use its wav drivers in Giga, then I can hear the wav files in Cakewalk listening thru Audiophile but not the Gigas samples.

Could You help me on this one ?

I heard something about of some GSIF.exe-file. Has anyone have any glue what this file is and where to get one ?

Thank You,
    matti

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Deeley:
    Hi

I am using the Audiophile with Giga + Cake with no problems at all. My previous GINA20 caused all sorts of grief but since I swapped it for the Audiophile I haven\'t had a problem (no lockups, freezes, dropouts).

My average song comes in at 20 20Bit/48K tracks, 10 Giga patches (average 80 notes polyphony).

Sound from the Audiophile is excellent - so much better than Gina20. It has good drivers and a versatile control panel. Shame about the phono sockets but for £170 that is being really picky.

System:-
    Win98SE (no tweaks at all - I found they do more harm)
    Abit BE6-II 566@850 / 386Mb RAM
    4 x 20GB 7200rpm Maxtor Drives (Programs, Audio, Gigs and backups respectively)
    Audiophile
    ATI Rage Fury
    Cakewalk v9.03
    Gigastudio (latest version)

I have no other programs on the machine - just use it for audio and it screams.

Hope this helps.

Brian.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mat

I have Gigastudio using outputs 3&4. They actually correspond to the SPDIF but that doesn\'t matter. Configure youe Cake audio to use outputs 1&2 (the normal WAV outputs).

In the Audiophile control panel patchbay router change both the H/W out 1/2 and H/W out SDPIF to monitor mixer. Also in Hardware settings change Multitrack Driver Device to INDEPENDENT.

Make sure Cake and Giga play back at the same frequency and bit rate (change settings in each application if required).

Crack that beer and turn up the volume.

Hope this helps.

Brian.

Hey Mat,

GSFix is by a guy called Nenad Siskov.
    I can\'t remember his site address, but it doesn\'t sound like his utility will help you anyway. It\'s basically for improving the number of audio tracks and/or making the sequencer timing better when running Giga and a sequencer on the same PC.

From Joe at Nemesys on the Yahoo Giga users group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NemesysMusic/messages

I want to shed some light on the PrcView/GSFIX solution that people have been suggesting to you, plus I think that others on this list will benefit from this explanation. It is important to understand what your are doing to your system before adding/running a whole bunch of foriegn software. In this case, I don\'t think their is any harm because I am farmilar with what these utilities do, but neverthelesss I always feel better about informing people what is going on.

We (Giga technology) have multiple threads of software going in the system at any give time. Think of a thread of software, as a mini application - some of these thread you see, like the GigaStudio interface, some you don\'t see,like a thread called msg32. Each thread has a priority level, which the system uses to help determine which mini application will get to run.

A while back, someone figured out that if you modify the thread priority of the msg32 process, then you can get better performance out of your sequencer if it running on the same computer (NOTE: all this discusssion is completely worthless if you are running your sequencer on a second machine). So this fellow, I think his name is NENO, wrote a simple program called GSFIX which switches the pririority from realtime to HIGH.
    However, this utility has to be run after you start GigaStudio, and everytime to you stop/restart the GigaStudio you will need to rerun his utility. (See the NS user forum for
    a link to his site to get this utility) The other utility to do the same thing is this
    prcview. We have decided to add a feature into the v2.2 of GigaStudio which will allow you to control the priority of msg32 (we will call it something a little more meaningful than msg32 though , so there will not be a need to use these utilities. But the bottom line, this modification was implemented to
    increase your performance of your sequencer running on the same machine - maybe it gives a few more voices of polyphony, maybe it allows your sequencer to behave more fluently - results will vary.

Go Back to forum