• Register
  • Help

Topic: Listening Room Classifications

Share/Bookmark

Listening Room Classifications

Here's just a thought I had: How about breaking the Listening Room into smaller sub-rooms with different types of music. i.e. arrangements, classical, contemporary, experimental, movie, orchestratons, etc. I think you get the idea. Comments please.

Re: Listening Room Classifications

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Here's just a thought I had: How about breaking the Listening Room into smaller sub-rooms with different types of music. i.e. arrangements, classical, contemporary, experimental, movie, orchestratons, etc. I think you get the idea. Comments please.
    With all respect, I'd say no - too many things people post here seem to cross and/or mix genres. I do see your point - easier to see what someone is posting. But I still think that having a 'big tent" is better.

Just my 2 cents (what's that in euros...?)

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    With all respect, I'd say no - too many things people post here seem to cross and/or mix genres. I do see your point - easier to see what someone is posting. But I still think that having a 'big tent" is better.

Just my 2 cents (what's that in euros...?)
    I have to agree... I for one enjoy stumbling upon a good tune outside of my normal range. Like the Parade of children... How cool was that? Very cool indeed!

My point is that, I would probably not seek out piano pieces, and I would have missed out on some amazing writing. We should not pigeon hole ourselves. Music is music... whatever the outside world may try to tell us!

I am rambling again!
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

I think organizationally the intention is good.

But in practice... dunno... don't think it would work so well.

At least not the way I listen -- practically every new piece
    every day -- it would rather just complicate matters.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I see your points, it was just a thought!

I listen to all that looks good to me, just hard to wade through some of the stuff that's been here for awhile!

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    I see your points, it was just a thought!

I listen to all that looks good to me, just hard to wade through some of the stuff that's been here for awhile!

Thanks for the replies
    Ah-hah! Another good reason to post at least a quick
    comment when you listen. That way you can just look
    on the left to see if you've posted to that particular
    thread or not.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

For one of the few times in my life, I am in agreement with the general opinion. Categories can be quite limiting as well as quite confusing because of overlap. Sibelius requires a category, which provides quite a few problems, not the least of which is how will the composer categorize a work which easily fits into three or more categories?

Richard

Go Back to forum