• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Finale HP and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Finale HP and GPO

I've asked this before but got no response, so try... try again.

I can not get Finale's HP to interpret fp correctly. Here's my situation this time... I have a full orchestral score. In one particular measure, Tpt1 and Tpt2 are scored to play whole notes with fp (no crescendo). No matter what I do, Tpt1 plays the fp correctly, and Tpt2 just simply plays p.

These are separate channels, different instruments (Tpt1 KS & Tpt2 KS). When I watch the Kontakt Player, the mod wheel responds correctly for Tpt1, but not Tpt2. I've tried putting them on channels in separate players so I can watch both.

Anyone encountered this?

For users of Finale, if you could... set this scenario up and please let me know if you get better results. I've gone so far as setting up a file with just two staves, to minimize the variables. It still will only play the fp on one staff.

Thanks!

Re: Finale HP and GPO

tfishbein,

I wish that I could help you out... but I don't own finale. I just wanted you to know that someone has at least read your post. Have you tried the finale forum? surely they have run into similar problems. Otherwise, there are lots of finale users here... the first one to come to mind is etLux. Try shooting him an email. He is a power user so should not be hard to find on here!

Good luck,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

tfishbein2,

I tried it in Finale 2006d, using the full GPO, and the fp played in both staves.

I used the setup wizard to create a new file with just Trumpet 1 KS & Trumpet 2 KS. I entered 2 measures of music in the top staff with a fp whole note in measure 2. Then I copied those 2 measures into bars 3 & 4 in the 2nd staff, then hit play. Both staves sounded exactly the same, and both played the fp correctly.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    tfishbein82,

I tried it in Finale 2006d, using the full GPO, and the fp played in both staves.

I used the setup wizard to create a new file with just Trumpet 1 KS & Trumpet 2 KS. I entered 2 measures of music in the top staff with a fp whole note in measure 2. Then I copied those 2 measures into bars 3 & 4 in the 2nd staff, then hit play. Both staves sounded exactly the same, and both played the fp correctly.

Jeff
    Interesting. I'm on 2006b at the moment (and on Windows); I can't imagine that the b to c upgrade would fix this, but I guess it's a possibility. (And as I understand it, the d upgrade was just for Mac). That's how I always set up my staves as well, through the setup wizard. Do they still play correctly if you start playback at the second measure rather than the first?

Thanks,
    Teddy

I'm not where i can try it right now but will later today. Have you tried deleting the fp and then restating it? maybe it just didn't load.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I'm not where i can try it right now but will later today. Have you tried deleting the fp and then restating it? maybe it just didn't load.
    Yes, I remove it, reapply it, apply it to both staves together, apply it to each staff individually.

Here's the other interesting thing. If I just have a fp on the Tpt2 part and remove it from Tpt1, then it plays correctly on Tpt2. When I add it back to Tpt1, it only plays correctly on Tpt1.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Yes, I remove it, reapply it, apply it to both staves together, apply it to each staff individually.

Here's the other interesting thing. If I just have a fp on the Tpt2 part and remove it from Tpt1, then it plays correctly on Tpt2. When I add it back to Tpt1, it only plays correctly on Tpt1.
    That is a puzzler, i don't know too much about it, wish i could help. I would call the finale support line.

Interesting. I'm on 2006b at the moment (and on Windows); I can't imagine that the b to c upgrade would fix this, but I guess it's a possibility. (And as I understand it, the d upgrade was just for Mac). That's how I always set up my staves as well, through the setup wizard. Do they still play correctly if you start playback at the second measure rather than the first?

Thanks,
    Teddy
    I just tried it on 2006b, worked fine. It plays back correctly no matter what measure I start from. Your fp expression should have "none" selected as the playback description.

You can post your file on the Finale forum for us to take a look at.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    I just tried it on 2006b, worked fine. It plays back correctly no matter what measure I start from. Your fp expression should have "none" selected as the playback description.

You can post your file on the Finale forum for us to take a look at.

Jeff
    My fp expression is the standard one. I have made no modification to it. I'm not at my computer with Finale at the moment, so I can't check to see if it has a playback description of any sort.

Are you using the standard one?

Thanks,
    Teddy

I've asked this before but got no response, so try... try again.

I can not get Finale's HP to interpret fp correctly. Here's my situation this time... I have a full orchestral score. In one particular measure, Tpt1 and Tpt2 are scored to play whole notes with fp (no crescendo). No matter what I do, Tpt1 plays the fp correctly, and Tpt2 just simply plays p.

These are separate channels, different instruments (Tpt1 KS & Tpt2 KS). When I watch the Kontakt Player, the mod wheel responds correctly for Tpt1, but not Tpt2. I've tried putting them on channels in separate players so I can watch both.

Anyone encountered this?

For users of Finale, if you could... set this scenario up and please let me know if you get better results. I've gone so far as setting up a file with just two staves, to minimize the variables. It still will only play the fp on one staff.

Thanks!
    Sounds like you have them on separate channels in two different layers on the same staff. That won't work. Each staff has an Expression Layer assigned to one channel. Expressions and Smartshapes only affect that one channel. This is a classic problem with HP. Hopefully F07 will improve this.

One other thing, that could be the problem. If the two tpt's are on different staves, and you apply a measure attached expression to a staff set, make sure the staff set has "X"'s on "Score" as well as "Part" for all staves, you want the expression to affect. It won't (for unknown reasons) affect staves with only "X" on "Score".

Go Back to forum