• Register
  • Help

Topic: cc64

I'm using Sonar Pro 5, and just purchased JABB. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to use cc64. I've read the manual, understand it's use, but cannot implement it. Where do you put the event code? Do you place it at the beginning of a phrase (pedal down) before every note? I've tried a variety of combinations with no audible change in playback. I know it's not a controller issue, because I use them all the time. Any suggestions?

Troy Sterling Nies

Re: cc64

Tongued notes are separated, slurred notes are overlapped. This is analogous to a real player where the air stream is interrupted by the tongue for tongued notes and continuous for slurred notes. Overlapping the note data ensures that there is no break between notes so that the slurred layer programming can modify the transitions properly. The strength of a tongued note is determined by the velocity value. The first note of a phrase is always tongued. A phrase that contains all slurred notes would therefore have a single cc64 (value 0) data event preceding the first note and a cc64 (value 127) preceding the second note. All notes following the second note will be slurred, if the notes are overlapped, until a cc64 (value 0) piece of data is placed in the track to re-establish a tongued note. It's relatively easy to hear the effect of cc64 if you play a series of short 16th notes from your keyboard with the pedal up and then, continuing to play the notes, depress the pedal. You will hear a change in the character of the attack with the application of the pedal. This is the difference that smoothes the transition between notes when the notes are overlapped. One final thing: The standard version of the library uses cc64 for this function; the notation version uses cc68.

One more thing: Make sure you are in the correct pedal mode. Go to the Options menu. The pedal mode, for wind instruments, should be set to the second choice in the list (which will display as "MIDI cc.") This is in contrast to piano which is an example of an instrument that would require pedal mode 1 (standard sustain.)

Thank you for the detailed answer. I was aware of all of the above, though, with the exception of your second pointer, which solved the problem. I appreciate the help! Excellent help on an excellent BBS(that dates me)/Forum.

Troy Sterling Nies

Re: cc64 Slurring problem

Hi. I'm haveing a problem sequencing slurs using Cakewalk Homestudio 2004 XL. I use the CC64 function and set the value up at 127 to activate a slur and set it to 0 to deactivate. The slurs are inconsistant at best and non-existent at worst. I even tried dropping the key velocity down to almost zero, which has helped minimized the tonguing. The particular problem I'm having now is a clarinet trill from C6 to D6. It sounds like a series of tongued and slurred notes even though the cc64 is set to 127. An octave lower works like a charm. Other instruments have had similar problems at different times. This is straight sequencing, not something I played in. Let me know any ideas that you may have.

Best regards,
    Last edited by ofafeather; 11-13-2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: addition...

Okay. I switched some of the instruments to GPO instruments and was ablle to have slurred trills once I adjusted the polyphony setting of the solo instruments. What is the issue with JABB, though? I know that the polyphony setting doesn't affect things that same way. The articulations for JABB aren't right and I can't seem to figure it out. Please advise.

Thanks and best regards,

Go Back to forum