• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio Capture yields corrupt WAV file

Share/Bookmark

Audio Capture yields corrupt WAV file

Hello -

Cubase SX and Giga seem to be working solidly together. Everything sounds perfect when I am writing.

When I capture to WAV in Giga, the process appears to go fine; however, I cannot play the exported file in windows media player (Audio Codec Format Tag 1) ... nor can the file be imported into WaveLab (incompatible).

I am using a Gina20 soundcard, and have it locked to 44.1 in the settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
    iain

Re: Audio Capture yields corrupt WAV file

Under Gigastudio Configuration Manager " Synthesizer " Tab -> Bounce to Disk :

there you can change the Bit depth. I locked mine to 16 bit.
    With " Track Hardware bit Depth " I got problems similar to yours.

Hope that helps
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Is the file being captured at 24 bit? If so, that might explain why it's unplayable with WMP, which only seems to play 16 bit files (maybe the lastest version is different, I don't know, but I have never been able to play 24 bit files in any version I've used).

Wavelab is a different thing and I've noticed similar bevaviour there myself. I have often had files which were unopenable in Wavelab, but caused no problem when importing to and using in Sonar, for example. I think it's got something to do with tags to the file giving information about it - the kind of thing you get if you right-click on the file icon, choose "properties" and then the "summary" tab. I'm not sure about this but I started looking into it at one point and seem to remember it had something to do with that, like Wavelab couldn't open the file without certain pieces of information whereas Sonar could.

My solution was to open them in Sonar, then do an export of the track they were on, and open that exported file in Wavelab. Worked perfectly: something about the process of going through Sonar and being exported from it must have written the information that Wavelab needed. This is of course pretty cumbersome if you need to deal with a lot of files quickly. But the basic principle is to find SOMETHING that will open them, and then save them out of that something, and see if that does the trick.

Above all don't presume because Wavelab won't open the file that it's corrupt. It probably isn't.

Thanks so much, guys.

Setting bit depth to "16-bit per sample" from "Track Hardware Bit Depth" solved the problem ...

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by iaink
    Thanks so much, guys.

Setting bit depth to "16-bit per sample" from "Track Hardware Bit Depth" solved the problem ...

Cheers.
    Glad it works for you
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Go Back to forum