• Register
  • Help

Topic: Have you tried this.

Share/Bookmark

Have you tried this.

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I've read much from many contributors about the effort required to achieve some level of realism from using samples. From those of us who have played in Orchestras, Ensembles and bands. if we have our 'ears on' when we've done this, there are many things going on musically, that we take for granted as part of our knowledge. I played primarily w/w, so got exposed in the main, and close up, to the cellos, violas, horns, other w/w, and often, enthusiastic brass players! And as a graduate of a formal musical education, i played in and worked with many ensembles as part of that educational process. It was as important (IMO) as the long hours spent listening with score in hand to masterpieces, or hunched over my desk writing quartets, and other exercises.

For those who've yet to experience this important part of a musical knowledgebase, and would like to take this part of your musical education further, have you contacted your local orchestra?

Quite a few years ago, when we were in the middle of a tour of schools, there were many occasions when the children would sit in the orchestra, watching and listening as we played, then ask questions afterwards. It was a salutory experience for them and us.

For those who want to develop a greater knowledge of orchestral playing, techniques used, and have a wider aural sense, can i respectfully suggest you get down to your local orchestra, and ask if you can sit in on rehearsals? As a former orchestral player, we had many visitors, particularly composers, so the precedent may already be set for your local orchestra too. In addition, you'll get to meet the muso's, and possibly, get the chance to share some time discussing techniques, and even get to hear players one on one demonstrating things they do to produce sound in a variety of articulations. (It's always an enlightening experience to sit next to bassoons, particularly when they're playing Beethoven, or Shostakovich, This often misunderstood and miswritten instrument is surprisingly articulate, and Beethoven, as an example, kept all his bassoon players 'fit' with plenty to do!)
    As a first year conservatory student, i was absolutely determined to learn as much as i could about all the orchestral instruments, so i 'budgeted' a small sum of money in order to invite an orchestral player to lunch, with the clear intention of trawling their musical brain for as much as i could absorb. This was imminently successful, and got to the point where i made good friends, and lunches became a regular event. (Fortunately they paid sometimes too!)

I've heard many demos, here and elsewhere, from people who have immense musical potential, only held back by a lack of understanding in how instruments work, how flexible the instrument can be with a variety of sounds and articulations, and the challenges that are presented when playing in a large ensemble.

Just a couple of suggestions, (my two roubles worth), and i wish you all success, whatever your musical desire may be.

Regards,

Alex.

Re: Have you tried this.

Interesting post, Alex, and all good advice to be sure. Made me wonder where your alma mater was... but many of us choose to leave this as a place to be more anonymous about such things... so I'll understand if you don't reply.

Also wondered, if this weren't the sort of thread that would fit well in the "Academy" heading as well. Just a thought.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibrish
    Interesting post, Alex, and all good advice to be sure. Made me wonder where your alma mater was... but many of us choose to leave this as a place to be more anonymous about such things... so I'll understand if you don't reply.

Also wondered, if this weren't the sort of thread that would fit well in the "Academy" heading as well. Just a thought.

Cheers.
    I put myself through the Conn in NSW Australia, Jibrish, then played in orchestras, ensembles, and bands, for some time. As i had no parental or other financial backing (I did band gigs at night to support myself and pay the fees), i was 'strongly motivated' to succeed. In addition, i knew i wanted to play and write music from the age of six, a powerful desire supported by my grandfather, whose 'natural musical wisdom' and inherent common sense, i still cherish and reflect on even now. He taught me how to study well, and urged me to follow my instincts, and i am a naturally curious and passionate fellow, who wanted (and still wants) to learn and know as much as i can, so the music in my skull has the best possible chance of a decent transition to external performance.

Regards,

Alex.

Ah, of course, a "Conn" man... r r r...

Good sentiments. Thanks for the reply.

Mother was the concert pianist in my world (lucky to have recorded her take on Bach and the like). Her version of some of the earlier Brahms (yeh another kid who loved the three B's) and such is what resonated with me... and it's still the 'Well' I go to... so I can relate.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibrish
    Ah, of course, a "Conn" man... r r r...

Good sentiments. Thanks for the reply.

Mother was the concert pianist in my world (lucky to have recorded her take on Bach and the like). Her version of some of the earlier Brahms (yeh another kid who loved the three B's) and such is what resonated with me... and it's still the 'Well' I go to... so I can relate.

Regards.
    You are indeed fortunate to have recordings, and such a well to draw from.

Whilst writing this and reflecting on my grandfather, i'm amused that he played and 'connected with' much Russian music, and Beethoven too.
    Must be why when i arrived here and started attending performances, i felt like i'd 'come home'.

Regards,

Alex.

Go Back to forum