• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GigaStusio 160 and Pulsar II. Is that ok ?

Share/Bookmark

GigaStusio 160 and Pulsar II. Is that ok ?

Hi,

I\'m running a Pc with 2 pulsar II (PIII 800, AsusCUSL2C, 2x45 go IBM U100, 512mo ram). I run the sts 4000 but I want to move for gigastudio cause the STS have to much limitation for my work. I\'m running a digital performer 2,8 on mac with PT24mix+. I use the PC as an external sampler and I use a D8B for mixing. Before I move to giga, is that working fine with pulsar (the latency seems to be higher than other soundcards). Is translator able to convert my 70Go pulsar program to Giga directly from Hd or I have to start again my CD tosting (I use Cdextract for the moment). If not good with pulsar what is the good card ?
    Thank you

Re: GigaStusio 160 and Pulsar II. Is that ok ?

What I can say is your ASUS-CUSL2 is good mobo for the pulsarII and Gigastudio. I\'m having a few songs in the planetz/music, check them out by your own taste. I think this setup has at least 100-Voice-giga-polyphony without problem.
    About coverting samples from STS, I think it sounds fine but the originated-giga-sample sounds much better. That\'s all.

As for me, I would get the gigasampler64 fisrt then determine the needs later, perhaps you can ugrade to gigastudio when you want to.

Thank you lhong,

What about the latency ? Anyway I have to move for gigastudio cause I need up to 16midi channels. But I use an external seq so I have to plug a midi board. That is another prob with pulsar...

Talkover,

I have what sounds like the same configuration as you, except I only have 1 Pulsar 2 card and mine is a PIII 933.

I\'m getting 70 polyphony.

Latency seems fine. Strangely enough you may get more polyphony than me as you have 2 pulsars. I believe LHong, forgive me if I\'m wrong, also has a scope board... this may explain his slightly higher polyphony.

On a majorly positive note, however, my system is totally stable and I am enjoying making music rather than computer maintenance.

peace

Thank you

Well, if the polyphony is 70 it\'s really fine for me, even for orchestral tracks. The number of midi channels is much more important to me. 32 is a minimum ,that\'s why I have to buy a midi expansion board with the pulsar. It\'s the only way to have 32 midi channels input from an external seq. Am I right ?

Lhong,

A guy from my company is in your city for the GDC actually. If you\'re going try to take contact. Bye

Takeover,
    About the MIDI issue: You\'ll probably need serial-MIDI ports for giga like Midiman.
    About latency, I see about 13ms on the pulsar and 63~92ms for the Cakewalk9.03.

gigaDiga,
    Well, honestly, I see you can only get 70 voice polyphony on the pulsarII is not quite right. You might check the setup, I mean that many various hardware setting up to improve the performance such as multiple-HD, CPUpriority, video card, memory@PC133, no other programs, MIDI-prots, MIDI-audio-Program (no Crakle version), etc.
    As far as I know, the GSIF driver for Creamware product-lines are same, regardless of Pulsar or Scope. Surely, I have tried the GSIF\'s pulsarII before the Scope-SP, I did get fully functional at 145-voice polyphony. No kidding!!!
    Anyway, just a reference, hope this helps.

Long

Lhong and Giga,

You aren\'t running your sequencer in the same machine as your pulsar and GS, are you ? My dream is to have logic, pulsar or scope and GS on the same PC. Is that a dream ? My problem is that the asus CUSL2C only accept 512 mo. Short for everything ? Why this limit ?

Takeover,
    About MIDI-seq with Giga, yes I did have pulsar I + Pulsar II with cakewalk9.03 and GigaStudio in same machine (MIDI and Audio, side-by-side). The song in the planetz site as an example. I don\'t know about Logic? I\'m having it, never got it worked sucessfully. Maybe someone can helps this better?
    About the ASUS-CUSL2, I know with 512MB is not a lot but for me at the moment, it\'s fairly enough for giga, you\'ll probably have the polyphony up to the limited before the memory-limited. Why 512MB is limit? that is the Intel chipset is limited to, nothing we can do about! Perhaps, someone here has mentioned about win98/Me, maybe these platform also be limited to 512~768MB.
    Conclusion: Wins2000 supporting.
    Hope this helps,
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 03-21-2001).]

Go Back to forum