First I have to say that this forum is fantastic for Giga users.
However, after searching for hours in this forum I have not found a solution to my current problem yet:
WindowsXP Pro SP2
GS3 Orchestra v3.12
Cubase SX3 v3.1
on a PC-system:
Pentium D 940
Asus P5WD2-E Premium
S-ATAII Seagate Barracuda x2 in Raid0
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
all with the latest drivers and Bios updates.
I only need and use the rewire mode for realtime playback and recording.
As far as I can see and hear, all is setup properly and runs smooth, BUT:
ALL samples from GS3 gig files I play from a Cubase midi file stop (get cutted) after 1 second. I hear the proper instuments, it is just the cut of the sound.
This occurs on all Asio drivers (Windows, Creative) and it does not seem to be a latency issue, it also occurs with large latency settings. It is also not the midi file. Even if I press and hold a note on the GS3 keyboard, the same: 1 second then stop.
This drives me a bit crazy since more than 2 weeks, after installing the new hardware. Before, I used a Pentium4 3GHz HT, 1GB RAM, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, and all ran properly with the same software.
Does anybody know this problem and can help?
Thanks in advance.
Re: Giga in rewire mode stops samples after a second
Originally Posted by Yu Chen
You are probably running on an updated Gigastudio, try loading the sequencer before gigastudio.
Thanks for the reply, but this does not solve it in Rewire mode.
I now found the fault and fixed it:
First, it is neither Gigastudio nor Cubase (or even Sonic).
The "worm" was in the hardware driver of the audio card (latest Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS driver). Even the latest driver of Creative causes crazy high CPU jumps and the drop-outs I told above. Then, I decided to install the latest kx driver (Version 126.96.36.19937, http://kxproject.lugosoft.com), though I had problems with it in the past on my elder systems (AthlonXP), and oh wonder ... all problems vanished! A fantastic low and solid cpu usage in gigastudio, and a very low latency for live-playback and recording mixdown in rewire mode:
8 instruments with 120 voice peak + 2 Gigapulse Channels (2 effects each) = CPU 25% peak max!
I am quite sure now, that the latest Creative driver is not at all optimized for a Dual Core Processor. I even have some 3D games on my sound PC (do not kill me for that! - the problems also occured on a clean tweaked installation), but even in these games I recognized a notable increase in performance!
I hope it will help some others now with a similar problem.
@Alfalfa: Thanks for the hint, it solved me excluding other issues. If you have an account at Cakewalk.. I bet the guy would like to get this post link too.