• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Which "Big Band" Brass libary ?

Share/Bookmark

Which "Big Band" Brass libary ?

Hello there,

I'm looking for a high quality "Big Band" sample library, which means with many layers per notes, many blowing techniques, staccatos, vibratos, crescendos, etc.

I already own Project SAM, for Orchestral horns, but, indeed, it's too orchestral sounding when I want to make some groovy tracks with some shuffle, boogie style.

Do you guys have an Idea (a.k.a what's the best out there) ?

Thanx in advance !

Lightbulb Re: Which "Big Band" Brass libary ?

I don't know if you will consider it "high quality", but from a variety of technics and Big Band expressions, JABB is something I would suggest to check.

Re: Which "Big Band" Brass libary ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I don't know if you will consider it "high quality", but from a variety of technics and Big Band expressions, JABB is something I would suggest to check.
    The alternatives are the following:
    1. Chris Hein Horns Vol.1 the most elaborate sampled Horns on the market with lots of Layers and keyswitch alternatives, but still a Vol.1 what means parts of the complete section are sill missing. Those you get seem to be the most versatile Jazz-Instrument-Samples in market for now.
    2. Qantum Leap Brass. good multi layered samples, that are already some years on the market, but as far as I know Akai-format what means no legato mode, no keyswitches etc.
    3. Big fish Audio First Call Horns. Realy nice good sounding samples for each Instrument of the whole Brasssection with all necessary articulations, keyswitches an multilayerd patches. But not that much detailed as the chris hein Horns.
    4. JABB for shure is one of those ingenius Garritaninstruments but it is not just focussed on the brasssection, but gives you samples for all kind of instruments you might expect in any kind of a Jazzband (Keyboards, Drums, Bass, etc) on one single DVD.
    that all I know about what you've asked
    cheers
    S.F.

Keep in mind with JABB, it takes a fair bit of programs - ie: continuous controllers, to make it sound anywhere near the demos. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the guy who sampled and programmed the library and still, I couldn't recreate what he did. I'm not a novice, BTW, and I've been a horn player for 25 years. However, if you study it well, it does seem to produce fairly idiomatic results. Just don't think it will "out of the box".

Unhappy Re: Which "Big Band" Brass libary ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Certainly, there are many types of music these days where you can get by using samples on finished product. I don't think we're there yet for big band sounds. You can do a decent mock-up, but I still think you're going to want real players on a final. The difference is pretty dramatic.

Lee Blaske
    Being a saxophone player and a big band arranger, I totally agree!

You can do a decent mock-up, but I still think you're going to want real players on a final.
    Everytime it comes to certain instruments like brass, guitar, etc.
    I don't think thats very helpfull because everybody knows that its true.
    This is a sample forum, thats why theese question come up.

Imagine someone asking in a 3D-animation forum:
    "I want to animate a dancing girl..." and the anwer:
    "Hire a real girl, animate her with some drinks, thats even more fun"

I included a detailed description of the "Chris Hein - Horns" musicians
    on my website and in the manual with links to their websites.
    Most of them play in the famous WDR-Big Band in Germany
    and have world wide credits.
    I would apreciate if you hire them directly (They could do it online),
    or send me the midifile of your mockup and let me do the recording.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Great answer, Mr. Hein. I recently bought the Lalo Schifrin"Bullitt" re-recording by the WDR Big Band, and they're great. Another liberating use of computers and the internet is to hire great players from around the world. There's a clarinet player in Italy who is my favorite, and my session guitarist lives in Nashville. In both those cases I'll mock up with samples and send them a guide track, and they can take it from there. I once did a soundtrack with a Cristal Baschet player in Paris; that one I couldn't even mock-up.

Back on topic: I own the Garritan, and while I like it I find it hard to use since so many of the controls are hidden in cc data. I've been wondering if there is a midi controller out there that would let me tweek them more in real time, but so far I haven't found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Everytime it comes to certain instruments like brass, guitar, etc.
    IImagine someone asking in a 3D-animation forum:
    "I want to animate a dancing girl..." and the anwer:
    "Hire a real girl, animate her with some drinks, thats even more fun"
    Chris Hein
    Excellent Chris,
    you did make your point, and in a funny way.
    BTW, I hope that your upcoming guitar library is going well, I'm really looking forward to it, 'cause it sounds very promising...... (silly me, I should already know that it's better to hire a real guitar player !!! But in doubt, I'm sure that Lee will remind this to me)

I always find it amusing to see people on a "sample" forum ask about sample libaries and have the inevitable response be "hire real players" While I agree that a real player will always be better than a sample (provided the musicianship is decent) this forum exists for the benefit of the musician who either can't afford a real player all of the time or wants to stretch his composition with a new instrument that he or she cannot play.

Check out the threads where people ask, "What is the best orchestral library?" "What is the best guitar library?" "What is the best drum library?"

The best answer is to hire a real orchestra/guitarist/drummer/etc...

But this may be costly/inconvenient/etc so we have samples to "simulate" the instrument we can't play. Hence a sample industry... Hence a sample forum...

Hmm...

2 cents is all I have left... spent the rest on samples...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Hey, if you guys want to fritter away your budgets on every big band sample library attempt out there, leaving no money left to hire real players to get the job done -- be my guest.
    Dunno where you live (though I suspect it could be LaLa land) but here it costs more than the price of Hein's library and Garritan's library to hire a big band, somewhere to record them and decent microphones for one session.

It's interesting to see your negativity shared by so many musicians, though I did manage to fool a bunch of professional audio engineers with a rendering from Garritan's JABB. They all shut up about it after realising that while the libraries out there are not perfect, and rendering can take a significant amount of work, it is possible to fool most of the people some of the time.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast