Ok, I am finally getting around to messing around with Emerald, which I purchased a few weeks back. I just read through the "manual". The first thing that stands out to me is that wow, there are a lot of NKI files to figure out which 10 of them I really need most of the time. So I am looking for some advice to trim down my set and decide which mode of operation makes the most sense. I realize this depends on every situation so please don't respond saying that. Please tell me which NKI's of Emerald you have found the most useful in your situation and why. Particulary when you are in composing mode, rather than big production mode.
- Do you use Velocity based volume or Mod wheel based volume? What are the pros and cons of each?
- Do you primarily use the Keyswitched patches or do you go through the effort to only load the specific articulations you know you will be using?
- If you use the keyswitched ones, there are several varieties of VelVol and modVol, which variety do you use in which situations?
- Did I interpret the manual correctly to read that LegatoLive is only available with Velocity based volume patches?
- Has anyone (including Kirk) been able to create some NKI's which use modVol but have all the other controllers also available using different CC#'s to control them to control all the other variations? Did I read correctly that most of those variations only work in velVol mode?
- With non-keyswitched patches, I assume that means you have to load each variation into a seperate kontakt slot and listen on seperate midi channel and find a way for your sequencer to switch which channel it sends on. Correct?
thanks much for your advice. I intend to hide 90% of these NKI files in an unused folder so that I only have showing the 2 dozen or so that I know I'm going to need. If I find myself in an odd situation I can always go find the special one I need and move back into operation.