• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Sonata in F (1)

Piano Sonata in F (1)

My composition Professor assigned, as a first project, the writing of a "CLASSICAL" Piano Sonata (to start my graduate program). While writing the first movement (Sonata-Allegro Form), I had to also bring to my lesson a complete analysis of a different Beethoven sonata every week.

After awhile, I got used to the Beethoven style, but never approached his genius, of course.

The first movement is a textbook "Sonata-Allegro" form: EXPOSITION (repeated in this case), DEVELOPMENT SECTION (doing things with the previous material [and some new maybe]), and RECAPITULATION (coming back to the beginning with a little variation, then proceeding to a closing section.

The piano sample that I used is the Garritan JABB Jazz Piano (thank, thank, thank you, Gary).

In admiration of Mr. Dan Kury: an unselfish man, talented musician,
    and one who shares his technological skills with others.....this Sonata
    is dedicated.

P.S. Dan, hope your electricity will be turned on soon. It's been more than five days now...............

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Piano Sonata in F (1)

Wow!!! Very well done!!! Did you enter it by hand or did you play it to a click track? Either way... this is incredidible. What grade did you get on this? To my untrained ear... this deserves an A+!!

I'll have to search out more of your work.

Thank you,

Prowland the posting Ninja

Jack, you just blew my socks off.

Simply superb.

Surpassingly fine writing in every regard...

With admiration,

Beautiful work Jack.

There is a level of invention here, that you dont normally find in these types of exercises. ( I still shudder in horror at some of my students attempts to write a string quartet in the style of Haydn. )

You have managed to tick all the right boxes, and still say something fresh. And furthermore, you have sustained the level of invention to the end.

Bravo...Great Stuff.

regards Joe

Still listening... lol; my fourth pass, I think.

You said a mouthful, Joe.

A great many write in prior idioms.

But few do so with a freshness and inventiveness
    that says something new -- and interesting.

Beautifully done!

Wine Country, Colorado

This is incredible. Joe and David are right about inventiveness and freshness. I would add that the Beethoven influence rings loud and clear while maintaining originality. You can be proud of this accomplishment. A masterfully written piece.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Penfield (Rochester), NY

You certainly captured the essence of a Beethoven style work without being a knockoff of an existing work. A well done and nice original work ! Love the GPO piano too!

Fantastic talent Jack!

I am not worthy to have something dedicated to me, but wow what an honor. Thank you Jack for posting this beautiful work.
    You are so very talanted WOW WOW WOW!

Go to the head of the class!

Very enjoyable work. Your left-hand melodies at about the half-way point are superb!

Thanks for posting this fine work.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

Yes, I did play it to a click track, only at a slower tempo so I could get all the notes in; then, a LOT of editing. I did get an A in the course, but this piece also contains a SECOND and THIRD movement which I will post when they are realized. Thanks for you kind comments.

Your encouraging comments are always put so eloquently. I guess I did a fair job on this one to have you post twice. Your opinions are very important to me as I do so admire ALL of your work. Thank you for a comprehensive report and listening more than once.

What a pleasure to have your analysis and kind words. I have always admired your writing and also your in-depth responses to so many compositions posted on this Forum. So, it is a great pleasure to have you comment so positively on my Beethoven attempt. Thanks again, Joe.

Yeah. It was more difficult not getting too close to Beethoven himself than writing the whole Sonata (all three movements). But, I (and my Professor) learned so much by analyzing most of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas and the irregular things he did with them. Incredibile composer he was. Thanks for your kudos.

Yeah, Gary, it was hard not writing something down that resembled a phrase or melody in so many of the Sonatas I studied. But, I think, after awhile, when you really study a composer's works, their characteristics "stick out" like sore thumbs. Then, you can work with their engineering tactics without duplicating actual passages. Thanks for listening.

As far as I am concerned, the composition isn't worthy of all the contributions you have made to this list and to individual people who have had great trouble with this new computer medium. So, don't consider it an honor--consider it a tribute to your talent and sharing with others. Let's be clear, Dan--you have the technological skills and talent to stand out. This, I hope, is only a small recognition of your endeavors. But, I am sure there will be more, from others, in the future. Thanks for listening, Dan.

Larry (Tyler's own):

Hey Larry--I didn't think anyone would comment on the left hand melodies, but I guess I couldn't get it past your critical ears and analytical mind. It's always great to hear someone comment about a particular part of a piece. Kind of gives one satisfaction in knowing the mental labor wasn't in vain. Thanks for visiting with my music, Larry.
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast