• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finally, new work...

Symphony no2, first 2 movements

I've had the ideas for this piece trotting in my head for nigh on 10 years now, so let's just say that they are FINALLY coming to fruition.

These are the first two movements of the "Sinfonia Canadensis".

The first movement is (very rare for me) inspired by a stop near Mount Apica. I am rarely moved to music by visual stimulous, so the speed with which I wrote this was a huge surprise to me. Less than a month for the first movement. A more or less standard sonata allegro, and rather more tonal than my usual style. It starts with fanfares and an explosion. The main theme is the wonderful GPO violas and celli in unison. The "publisher" score done in Finale 2006 is performing the music with Robert P's wonderful HumanPlayback plugin.

Forêts Boréales (Northern Forests)

The adagio second movement starts with dawn on the prairies, a slow, gentle sunrise leads to the arrival - distant at first - of the lumbering threshing machines. Calm returns in the evening and the sun sets on the seemingly infinite plain.

The Prairies

When the other movements take form, I'll post them. At this rate, by the end of the summer the next three movements should be finished.
    Last edited by qccowboy; 07-26-2006 at 11:49 PM. Reason: edited for title change

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Re: Finally, new work...

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I've had the ideas for this piece trotting in my head for nigh on 10 years now, so let's just say that they are FINALLY coming to fruition. ......

I know the feeling, the ideas and tunes banging around in my head until I just have to put them on paper!!! And indeed you have done it wonderfully. Very artistic renderings of your tone poems and good use of the GPO instruments.

Two very fine pieces in my estimation. I love the way you orchestrate, especially in the second work. The sunrise portion of the second work is excellent and the "threshing machines" really thresh.

Your realization of these works is wonderfully done with just the right amount of reverb and the instrument placement is outstanding.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Michel, these are superb!

One surprise after another at times in Forêts Boréales; but knit
    together with such sense and flow and flawless transition, they
    lovingly caress the ear and mind.

The broad calm across harmonically shifting fields in The
    , the sense of space impinged with impending possibilities
    at its center, is beautifully thought out and orchestrated, as

I will look forward to the remaining three movements with
    pleasurable anticipation.

Thank-you Gary, Jack and David.
    This is a piece that is very dear to me.
    The idea of writing a "national" piece of music has been a project for a long time and I finally feel that I can describe the things I wanted to describe with it.

The next three movements will be Maritimes (sort of a scherzo), Mist and Mountains (a second adagio), and the finale is a set of variations - Tundra and Glaciers.

I'm also aiming for each movement to be playable as a sort of "tone poem" on its own.

The entire symphony is dedicated to professor Alan Belkin (although I don't think he knows it yet )

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    . . .The idea of writing a "national" piece of music has been a project for a long time and I finally feel that I can describe the things I wanted to describe with it.
    Michel -

Your first two movements are just beautiful, Michel!

I see that you are from Canada. If this is so, I can see how you can be inspired to write such great music. Canada is a beautiful county. The last time I was in Canada, it was to attend the jazz festival in Quebec about 10 years ago. The festival itself was loads of fun and the music just grand. But the travel there was equally grand as we drove to Montreal, Quebec and its surrounding neighborhood.

(Of course, if you are not living in Canada, then I made a BIG "boo-boo" and your country should be proud of the music you write for it. And that country must be beautiful too as evidenced by your inspired music. )

I love this style of composition. I thoroughly enjoy listening to your works and I look forward to hearing the rest of the movements once you complete them and share them to us.

Edited to add: By the way. . . .

If you should happen to arrange to have these works performed live, please keep us or at least keep me informed. If they're performed in Montreal, it's only a 6 mile drive from where I live. I'd make a mini vacation of the situation and make an effort to come hear your wonderful work performed. It would also give me an opportunity to visit that Fondu restaraunt located somewhere in the middle of Montreal. Great food. Great music! This would be a most welcomed mini-vacation!!!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Yes, I AM describing Canada

A number of years ago, I had the great pleasure of crossing the country by car with a friend, on a business trip. A whole bunch of people kept telling us beforehand that "oh! it's such a boring ride" and other rather disparaging remarks of that nature. So I was rather shocked at the stunning beauty I encountered rather than these scenes of boredom.

So I had always wanted to come back to that trip, musically, and put to paper some of the emotions it had brought out in me.

Last month I had the pleasure of going on a "family trip" - for the first time in 30 years, with my mother and my brother and sister. We were attending a huge gathering of our family (aunts and uncles, cousins, nephews and neices... all told, over 100 people attended) in the Lac Saint-Jean region (the Saguenay, northern Québec).

On this trip, we stopped briefly in the Laurentian park to take some pictures near Mount Apica (an old military radar installation, and one of the tallest mountains in the park).

I was dumbstruck by the beauty of the mountains, the forest, the valley below me, with a gorgeous river running through it.

That was the genesis of "Forêts boréales", and the journey which begins with these two movements.

If you're interested in any concerts in Montréal, October 17th at the Chappele du Bon Pasteur will be the première of my Cello sonata (which can also be heard on my website). The concert is the launch of a CD of cello music containing works by professor Alan Belkin, another fellow montrealer Philippe Levesque, and myself.

Go Back to forum