• Register
  • Help

Topic: Accurate but ugly?

Share/Bookmark

Accurate but ugly?

Well, not ugly really...

Just sold my Boston Acoustics CR8's (seemed mushy) and taken delivery of Event ALP5's.

It's like I'd been watching a movie without my glasses. There's about 15% more "information" there. Talk about detail and imaging!

However, passages that used to soar with beauty (e.g. "the Road" cue from Farenheit 451) now just...play. I can hear a viola player scratch her nose (and tell you which desk she's on), but who cares? Dry man, bone dry.

This can't just be "accurate" mixing monitors versus "enhancing" hi-fi monitors. I mean, if the monitors can't reveal the beauty in the music, they're missing something, aren't they?

In any case, I want to "mix to" beauty - it's the whole reason I'm into this. Thus my appeal: Imaging, detail...and beauty, for under $1000US?

I'd love to find a listening room, do some serious A/B'ing, develop a vocabulary and figure this out on my own...but where (Gutar Center? Yikes.)

I was hoping to impose on the generousity of you all, in sharing your wisdom, thoughts...and specific recommendations. I am grateful, very grateful, in advance.

Mark

P.S. I know that "beauty" is a terribly non-specific word...but my discernment and vocabulary is limited here. I feel like a guy who swills Budweiser asking a wine connoisseur "which one tastes good?" Take it easy on me, I want to learn!

Re: Accurate but ugly?

The "beauty" perception you have is most likely caused by more midrange fundamentals and upper bass with will translate as more physical feeling.

There is also an adjustment time period that you'll experience when changing from one set of speakers to an other.

Also, have you ever expiromented with foam earplugs?
    If you want to just see the fundamentals in a piece of music or extreemely flat monitors a set of plugs might do it for you.

I buy them by the box of 200 pairs. <G>

Re: Accurate but ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Also, have you ever expiromented with foam earplugs?
    If you want to just see the fundamentals in a piece of music or extreemely flat monitors a set of plugs might do it for you.

I buy them by the box of 200 pairs. <G>
    Steve, please elaborate. What do you do use them for, and what do you learn by using them? (The reason I ask is, in my straight gig I deal with hearing protection and audiometry all the time.)

Thanks,
    ---Rick

Go Back to forum