• Register
  • Help

Topic: Who writes for commercials and?

Share/Bookmark

Question Who writes for commercials and?

It seems very odd to me that a producer would ask me to write the music first. The commercial hasn't been written yet or produced. Isn't this a bit backwards? My conception was to obtain a copy of the commercial video then write to it, yes? No? Maybe? Not?
    Any of you pros ever work in that direction scoring commercials or the like? Just thought I would ask.
    Styxx

Re: Who writes for commercials and?

Hey Styxx:

I started a similar discussion over at the DUC forum. Interesting responses.

Part 1 http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1020530

Part 2 http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...10289671028405

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    It seems very odd to me that a producer would ask me to write the music first. The commercial hasn't been written yet or produced. Isn't this a bit backwards? My conception was to obtain a copy of the commercial video then write to it, yes? No? Maybe? Not?
    Any of you pros ever work in that direction scoring commercials or the like? Just thought I would ask.
    Hey Styxx,
    I've done just a few jingles and "industrial videos" in years past when I lived in SoCal; I usually had a video copy to work from with or without smpte code on it, but I've also worked the other way around -- with the production company post editor editing the music to fit the length of the commercial. It's been a while though, and I know that things have changed (using avi files for reference, etc.). Yet, I don't think this is all that unusual. Production companies use "library music" all the time, and just adjust it in post production. Hope this helps ease your mind!

Yet, I don't think this is all that unusual. Production companies use "library music" all the time, and just adjust it in post production.
    Hmm, yes ... you are right. Although not said, this is probably what they plan. The request was not a specific length or music just said it would be for 30-second commercials.
    We are to meet with production people in two weeks.
    Thanks, this does ease my mind a bit.
    Styxx

Ezz time for contract, yes?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hmm, yes ... you are right. Although not said, this is probably what they plan. The request was not a specific length or music just said it would be for 30-minute commercials.
    We are to meet with production people in two weeks.
    Thanks, this does ease my mind a bit.

First. . . very cool that you got a gig writing a commercial! Please share the work when you're done!!

Second. . . you're writing music for a 30 minute commercial?!?!? 30 minutes?!?!? That's a lot of writing!! And THAT'S a LOT of commercial!!!

Is the show surrounding the commerical about 15 seconds long??? Just wondering. . .

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Talking Re: Who writes for commercials and?

I wrote on the fly and didn't notice I wrote "30-minute". Since then has been edited, "30-second".

Thanks for pointing that out. Then again, you never know!
    Styxx

I was asked to do a spec job for a commercial once that had really specific requirements for timings, but no picture to score to. They said "Ok, we want a boogie woogie tune in the style of Jelly Roll Morton. 4 seconds music, stop 2 seconds, 4 seconds music, stop 2 seconds, then rock out till the 30 second mark, including fade out and reverb tail". That was really challenging, trying to make it fit EXACTLY to the timings, yet sound musical!

I was doing some music for an indie film a couple of years ago. The producer/director wanted me to write a theme. He had a definite idea about what he wanted. He told me what he wanted was "The Odd Couple meets Rocky"

I said "huh"

Go Back to forum