• Register
  • Help

Topic: Game Audio Sound Design

Game Audio Sound Design

Hi all!

I have an offer to do a game audio score. The music is no problem but I might be asked to do the sound effects as well. Are there any samplediscs with typical sound effects for games or do I need to design them all on my own? How do you guys do?

The thought crossed my mind that some sounds could be found on those sound discs movie makers use but that really doesn't cover for all the blip-blops I need.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Game Audio Sound Design

you can buy CDs with effects, or make your own - in any event you will have to design them, that's my personal experience

so, everything is bugdet-dependent ...
    The Dimensity Project at

Burbank, CA. US of Mexico

You might consider hiring a professional for this.

Can anyone give me the name of a company who has these cds with effects?

There are probably licensing issues to be aware of with any sound FX CDs. Why not make your own - its fun. Also, you might ask over here:

Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Most sFX CDs will not let you sell the sFX alone as part of the licensing agreement. When you purchase discs from Sound Ideas or similar companies you do not usually own the sounds, you're simply licensing them. There are a lot of things to consider in some of the licensing agreements, such as how "naked" the used sample can be in a production.

However, it is not uncommon for video game studios to purchase these discs themselves and simply own the licenses for several sFX CDs as part of the company's general assets.

Creating sFX from the ground up is a bit like programming a new graphics engine, it may be fun, but that kind of work may not be what the contractor has in mind for you.

If I were in your position I would suggest that you be in charge of:

1) recording and creating custom sFX (voice acting, or weird specifics),

2) putting together a "shopping list" of sorts for appropriate sFX CDs
    (since there may be several sFX that would be extremely difficult for you to procure like a specific, expensive car engine, that has already been recorded several times in several libraries (think diminishing returns on the work required to create some sounds yourself)),
    and then of course offer

3) audio synch services for animations and cut scenes, etc.

This situation will satisfy sFX, music, and general sound design without creating an unwieldy project, as well as keep the sound budget down.

However, if the contractor is interested in actually owning the sFX you're talking about recording equipment that isn't owned by your general computer based music composer/producer. Think field equipment.

The sound designer for the King Kong games bought sFX from soundrangers.com

It's a good time saving idea to not bother recording sounds that have already been recorded millions of times before.

Especially if you want an authentic 9mm PPK interior based gun-shot noise both with and without silencer.

Ask yourself if your recording equipment is ready to record live guns OR ask your contractor to just buy a solid gun sFX library. See what I mean? Just think it through.
    - Dan

I actually just released a library today called Ambience Impacts Rhythms, that blurs the line between music and sound design. It's definatly geared for video game/film/tv composers. I could see it coming in handy for this situation. check it out
    Joe Trupiano
    Sample Logic LLC

Go Back to forum