• Register
  • Help

Topic: Manual vs. Real life

Share/Bookmark

Question Manual vs. Real life

Yesterday I tried to get the triangle sound from the Basis Orch. Percussion.
    Looking into the manual I found out that I had to input C6 for long triangle sound. Importing the file into Sonar didn't give that sound. Trying to find out which key makes the triangle sound I had to input C8!![amend the midi file].

Strange..... are there other typing errors or else.......

Raymond

Re: Manual vs. Real life

Yes, a bit strange. You numbering system does not agree with mine, but it has not been a problem because of my spare use of percussion. However, I have posted another message, asking for a correct listing. So hang in there!

Richard

As frustrating as it may seem, there is no universal agreement amongst manufacturers on the location of middle C. Some keyboards place it on C3, some on C4, and some on C5. The best procedure is to manually locate the position of the lowest note in a given patch and use that position as the relative starting note number for all other mapping positions in the instrument. Once you have determined the "offset" for your system it should be consistent for all instruments. As an example, the bass drum (in my system) is located at B0, C1, and C#1. So, for me, the triangle is located at B5 and C6. These translate into MIDI notes 35, 36, and 37 for the bass drum. C3 is MIDI note 60 (a snare drum hit.) MIDI notes 95 and 96 are the triangle.

If you don't get this layout for the MIDI note numbers (as opposed to what the keyboard manufacturer is stating as the position of middle C) then make sure the keyboard is not sending transposed data to your tracks. This can easily happen with many keyboards that have buttons for raising or lowering the data output by octave increments.

By the way, the triangle originally was only present in the Percussion Toys instrument. It was added at the update to the Basic Orchestral Percussion following a request from one of the notation program developers.

Tom

Thank you Tom. I suspected something like that, but wasn't sure.
    I will have a look at the source of the error (ambiquity).

Raymond

Tom -

Thanks for the reply. I understand the numbering problem. What I was suggesting is that somewhere in the manual, should be a statement that for this application, middle C is defined as C3.

But there is another problem for me. My listing of basic percussion does not include the triangle, although the sound is present where it should be. I find it listed only under percussion toys. Not a serious matter for me, as I rarely use percussion.

Richard

Go Back to forum