• Register
  • Help

Topic: Odd Problem in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Odd Problem in GPO

Hi,

I've been working on a piece for awhile (3 instances of GPO) and started encountering a problem today that is very strange. When I try to load a sound in the 2nd or 3rd instance I lose all audio output on that instance. I see the Kontakt player keyboard and mod wheel responding to my playing, but no sound...unless I click on the on screen keyboard or mod wheel with my mouse, then I hear sound. I also noticed that using the up/down arrows for scrolling through the sounds doesn't work on these 2 instances. I have none of these problems with the initial instance of GPO. I re-ran the Kontakt player update from July 2005 and rebooted with no luck. The moment I change a sound in the 2nd or 3rd instance I lose output (at least when playing from my keyboard or sequenced track). I haven't tried replacing the 2 instances yet, but will try that if there isn't something obvious I'm missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, esp. if it helps me avoid something that causes this in the future.

Thanks!

Jon

Re: Odd Problem in GPO

Quote Originally Posted by jcbryson1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, esp. if it helps me avoid something that causes this in the future.

Thanks!

Jon
    Problems sometimes can be easier solved if you provide your system information, including applications used for sound.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Problems sometimes can be easier solved if you provide your system information, including applications used for sound.

Richard
    My apologies, I should know better.

Sonar 5.2, running VSTi version of GPO. WinXP SP2. P4 2.8Gig proc, Asus p4pe-x m/b. M-Audio Delta66 card, MidiSport 1x1. Please let me know if there's any additional info that might be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jon

My apologies, I should know better.

Sonar 5.2, running VSTi version of GPO. WinXP SP2. P4 2.8Gig proc, Asus p4pe-x m/b. M-Audio Delta66 card, MidiSport 1x1. Please let me know if there's any additional info that might be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jon
    One other thing is that I tried rescanning my VST's in Sonar but no change.

No answers yet, at least from me. Your setup does not look odd. How much
    RAM?

Good idea to check for latest drivers for your sound card, video card (really), and printer drivers. These may seem strange, but can cause some really wierd problems. Particularly, check the sound card for new drivers, even if you bought the sound card this morning! Check your asio settings to make sure they are compatible with Sonar, but it seems to me they must be. Latency and buffers are the source of many troubles, but usually pops, clicks, dropouts.

I am presuming you have the latest version of GPO.

Next move is to hope somebody comes back from their weekend trip and solves this issue for you. I will continue to think on it as I wear out erasers on my manuscript paper.

Richard

Jon,

From the way you describe the problem it sounds like everything was working normally for awhile and then this problem was introduced (for some unknown reason.) If I have read this correctly, what happens if you open a new Sonar file and load 3 instances? Do things still malfunction or does it seem to work fine in the fresh file? I'm trying to determine if this is a system problem or if it is something specific to this particular song file (either a configuration issue or a corrupt song file.)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    No answers yet, at least from me. Your setup does not look odd. How much
    RAM?

Good idea to check for latest drivers for your sound card, video card (really), and printer drivers. These may seem strange, but can cause some really wierd problems. Particularly, check the sound card for new drivers, even if you bought the sound card this morning! Check your asio settings to make sure they are compatible with Sonar, but it seems to me they must be. Latency and buffers are the source of many troubles, but usually pops, clicks, dropouts.

I am presuming you have the latest version of GPO.

Next move is to hope somebody comes back from their weekend trip and solves this issue for you. I will continue to think on it as I wear out erasers on my manuscript paper.

Richard
    Richard,

Thanks for your response. I am running with 1Gig RAM. I am running the latest sound card drivers. Interesting you mention the video card, I recently switched drivers (however about 2 weeks before the problem surfaced). I have an ATI Radeon 9200 that I had occasional stability problems with and someone recommended I try Omega drivers (an alternate driver for the Radeon that is said by some to be more stable). I have to say though that in every respect the Omega drivers seemed better, but I will consider switching back the latest regular drivers after I follow Tom's advice on loading a clean project.

Thanks again!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Jon,

From the way you describe the problem it sounds like everything was working normally for awhile and then this problem was introduced (for some unknown reason.) If I have read this correctly, what happens if you open a new Sonar file and load 3 instances? Do things still malfunction or does it seem to work fine in the fresh file? I'm trying to determine if this is a system problem or if it is something specific to this particular song file (either a configuration issue or a corrupt song file.)

Tom
    Tom,

You are correct in that everything was working fine previously. Saturday night I was switching sounds in the affected instances with no problem, and then Sunday afternoon I could no longer do this.

When I get home tonight I will try as you suggest to open a new Sonar file and load 3 instances. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Jon,

Tom
    Tom,

My apologies. This whole thing was user error. I had somehow managed to misroute not one, but two tracks (one each in the 2nd and 3rd instance) so for instance, my track labelled 'Cello' was pointing to a blank slot (slot 8) in the Kontakt player, hence, I could highlight the Cello slot (which was actually slot 7) and play on the virtual keyboard with my mouse and hear a sound. I could play on my hardware keyboard and even see the keys depress on the virtual keyboard, but hear no sound because the track I was playing pointed to a blank slot (8). I didn't realize that the virtual keyboard responds regardless of the slot that is selected (thank you MIDI Omni input) so I thought there was a conflict between what I was seeing (keys depressing, mod wheel responding) and what I wasn't hearing. That I managed to do this twice apparently (I suspect from carelessness in track cloning) before noticing the 'problem' didn't help.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to how I managed this, and am of course deeply embarassed. I honestly tried to do the due dilegence part before posting, but once you look at something wrong once, it's amazing how one can become blinded to the obvious.

Thanks Tom and Richard for having taken the time to try to help me, hopefully I will have the oppotunity to return the favor someday.

Jon Bryson

I'm still a bit puzzled as to how I managed this, and am of course deeply embarassed.
    No need. There are so many places (some nicely hidden) to derail the MIDI train that it happens to everyone. I'm just glad it turned out to have an easy fix.

Tom

P.S. The player reacts to all incoming MIDI data simultaneously (all channels) so this has caught me too on occasion. I would certainly prefer having the player's graphics respond only to the data for the highlighted channel but that, unfortunately, is out of our control.

Go Back to forum